Australian paint code??

NiceMini

Australian paint code??

Post by NiceMini »

Hi there people. ive been in the club a few years but im new to the forum,

i have a 74 aussie moke its orange, but its been repainted a slightly different colour in the past, numbnuts here binned the sticker from the top of the radiator cowling when stripping the car :(

can anyone help?
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Help you search the landfill site you mean ?
Tim

Post by Tim »

Possibly Home On Th'orange, it was a very common orange about then.

http://www.ozcooper.com.au/paint_codes.htm

[img:640:407]http://clubmangt.com.au/yabbfiles/Attac ... range2.jpg[/img]

My '77 was originally Scarlet O'Hara, but when it was resprayed they seem to have matched it to a faded part, which made it sort of Orange O'Hara.

Tim
NiceMini

Post by NiceMini »

hmmm, ive got the old exhaust tunnel which appears to be a different orange to the rest of the car, but it has a big run on it which makes me think its been painted at some point, but from a bit of sanding it looks original / was taken down to bare metal when painted i just dont know!

It looks like it could be a little lighter than the one in the picture althoguh its hard to tell ?!

thanks for your help though tim
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

That really is one hell of a colour though isn't it
Tim

Post by Tim »

Below is a quote from a recent thread on the Ausmini website, full thread here.

http://www.ausmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37895
sports850 wrote:I've been told that this thread is linked to Antons site so for the benefit of people there who aren't regular's here I'll list all the colour names here so hopefully they can see them .

[img:768:576]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... olours.jpg[/img]

Starting top left it's "Am eye blue" 4200 , "Camino gold" 9600 , "Hairy lime" 5300 , "Gambier turquoise" 4700 .

Middle row from left , "Peel me a grape" 8200 , "Plum loco" 7700 , "Arianca tan" 7500 , "Bold as brass" 8300 .

Bottom row from left , "Oh fudge" 7200 , "dry red" 2100 , "country cream" 6100 , "home on th'orange" .

These are original Leyland colour chip's and are the actual paints sprayed onto very light card so they are the actual colours (and look nothing like the shades they show on screen as) , not an approximation . I had a loose "camino gold" chip that I gave to someone recently and it matched the original paint (under seats etc , the non faded paint) of their car perfectly . If anyone needs to get paint matched to the original colour contact me through here and I'll find someone with the right scanning/paint mixing equipment to get it matched correctly .
Tim
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

What is/was wrong with Forest Green?
Last edited by Doug G on Sat Dec 01, 2007 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
Having a moking good time!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Doug I don't mind where you greet people.

I guess you mean forest green? Whats wrong with it is that its not on any of the Australian colour lists. Could you be imagining it? Maybe your Moke is red but you haven't realised?

This page has a good range of colours used by BMC Australia through most of the Moke period. No forest green there either.

http://www.elevenhundred.com/colours.php

Forest green was used by BMC Australia in 1956 on the Morris Minor?

Tim
PJ

Australian paint code

Post by PJ »

Nowt wrong with Forest Green, Doug, as long as you like it.

I'm not a great believer in keeping original paint colours because I find that the 'rose tinted spectacles' distort the colours anyway!

I should mention that this comes from someone who is in the process of having his moke resprayed - at great expense - in a very no-original colour so I' biased as hell.

PJ
NiceMini

Post by NiceMini »

thank you people, after some searching through some pics i think im going paint shoppin this week for a sample tin, see how it comes out

home on th'orange has won, ive shelved plans on a colour change to yellow

although im getting sick of being told by my mates to paint it green!
73 Aussie moke home on th'orange :)
79 mini van
94 mini 35 sports pack
69 vw camper
Tim

Post by Tim »

No worries, I hope its the right colour. Green is Ok for a Moke but there have been one or two painted that colour over the years, especially in the UK. My first Moke was a sort of kermit/BP green, but I'd go for hairy lime if I was doing another one.

Tim
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Thre does seem top be moves afoot (in the UK anyway) to ban cellulose. Unless, that is, you have a vehicle over 30 years old and a permit to spray ..
I've just ordered enough paint for two cars to be on the safe side
Tim

Post by Tim »

When you say cellulose, do you mean solvent based paints? I'm not quite sure what cellulose translates to in Australian. We have acrylic lacquer, enamel, or 2 pack. Acrylic and enamel can be sprayed at home by amateurs, but both of them use a lot of volatile solvents which are the concern. I believe that manufacturers are moving to water based acrylic.

I have a mate who is a spray painter and he sprays 2 pack at home. It requires a special mask and it makes a real mess. He sprayed a vehicle in a closed garage and so much overspray got onto his wife's car parked outside that he had to cut and polish it afterwards.

Tim
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Yes the smelly stuff - i too tried 2 pack once- never again. Give me the good old fashioned fumes any day !!
Tim

Post by Tim »

2 pack gives an amazing glossy and very hard wearing finish, but its probably not something for the amateur to be playing with.

Tim

Return to “Bodyshell”