Seatbelt introductory date

pbraun

Re: Seatbelt introductory date

Post by pbraun »

Interesting. Mine is an AB1 chassis also, built on 2 Aug 65 and dispatched 6 Aug 65 to Philly also.

4 seats, no mounting points at all. No plates welding in, nothing - front and rear.

Wish there was someone who worked on the assembly line who would know for sure how they handled this.
peter
1965 Mini Moke, English built, on the road again!
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

well just got 1970 aus moke NO seatbelts.. and dont see any holes in floor pans for them? peter good to see your moke is coming along there in outer banks , north carolina.. as you know moke are few and far between here in NC.. later bc
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

clm wrote:Janz... Look up at the rusty pics... A/B shell with no seat belt mounts. It is a November 11th 1965 build for export to Philidelphia or so the heritage cert says.

It seems strange.. seeing as the seat belt requirements came in earlier then this was built there, perhaps there was a back stock of unusable shells? They got an order from a market where they were legal and then they used those? Perhaps a list of A/B numbers and if they had the mounts or not would show a pattern?

Chris
Hmmm, maybe just applied to home market bodies.... or.... sealt belt mounts had to be improvised and perhaps weldments came later. Yours is quite an early A/B body by the looks of it - the body parts manual appears to show otherwise but it is difficult to work out as the sequence number seems to have been restared when A/B replaced AMB
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ
frenchjohn

Post by frenchjohn »

Just to resurrect this thread, since I was researching stuff about my new acquisition, UK built 22 Sept 1965, shipped to France (i.e. LHD export model) which doesn't have any seat belt mounting points. They weren't compulsory fitting in France until 1967 so I suppose thats how they got away without them.

Return to “Bodyshell”