Dash Panel - English Moke

Drake
MMC Member

Dash Panel - English Moke

Post by Drake »

Hi All, my first post - been a lurker for a while enjoying delving into all your exploits / builds etc.

Just a quick question, can anyone advise the measurements of the Dash Panel fitted to the English Moke. Mainly just after the width.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Drake
MMC Member

Re: Dash Panel - English Moke

Post by Drake »

Just a quick update, due to no response I took a chance and ordered a new dash panel from Moke panels (fantastic service) and luckily it fits!! yeah
(reason for question is that mines not an english moke but I wanted the english dash)
Thanks anyway guys and hope you may be able to help in the future. I'm off to the NEC classic show on Friday so i'll pop along and say hi if nowt else.
Have fun all ......
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

Hi Drake,
Welcome to the forum, congratulations on your first post.
Sorry you didn't get the response you were hoping for, it doesn't always work out that the right person is on at the right time to act on your request.
I'd be interested to hear and see what you're working on, please post some pics up.

Best regards
Roger G
My other car is a Moke......
My other Moke is an Ant....
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Welcome indeed. Speaking from the point of view of having experienced both types of Moke dash, l think the Australian version is better because at least you have somewhere to throw all your nick and nacks while driving :D
With the early type I was forever having stuff rolling around the passenger footwell
Come on summer
Drake
MMC Member

Post by Drake »

Thanks guys, you probably wont want to know what i'm working on. I'm more than happy to share if an interest.
Basically i've been wanting a moke for a long time, but I think I missed the boat a few years back. I tried looking buying a few projects but gave up in the end - the price they went for was way over what I could afford. So went to plan B.
Basically I have a 1986 AMC CUB (the oldest known by all accounts). While I fully accept this is not a Moke, i'm not trying to pretend it's anything other. It's a Q plate which i'm fine with / it's not on a dodgy moke plate like some i've seen!!

The plan is to make it look more like a Moke and less like a kit car. I've removed the original AMC dash (left the shelf in place Nigel - agree I think that will be handy) English dash fits a treat.
I initially contacted M-parts but I think he must have thought I was a time waster and despite numerous requests I gave up in the end and contacted Leo from Moke Panels (wish i'd gone to him first - really good as was Margaret) He couldnt help with my full order and recommend Ron at Runamoke and hes dealing with my second order.

Basically I have new sides / access panels / grille / roof bars - and have on orderfor new fibreglass seats / covers / handles etc etc.
I've also ordered a new wiring loom from Autosparks (gone for the Portugese as that was the nearest spec and includes stuff i'll need for a 1986 MOT)

I have various plans for it which I wont advise yet but suffice to say it should look a little special when done. If you guys are interested in knowing more let me know and i'll start a build thread. The AMC is a really well built piece of kit - if you accept it's not a moke which I do it's a cheap way to moke a like motoring (even with all the panels and purchase price i'm still less than one of the projects i tried to buy) and yes I accept it will never be worth the same as an original - i'm not doing this for any profit..
Thanks and hope you can help as I go alone. I've been studying some of the builds on here and found this a great help
All the best and let me know if I can join in the fun
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:Welcome indeed. Speaking from the point of view of having experienced both types of Moke dash, l think the Australian version is better because at least you have somewhere to throw all your nick and nacks while driving :D
With the early type I was forever having stuff rolling around the passenger footwell
And then you go round a corner and become nick and nackless. My first digital camera exited my Moke on a corner once (at The Club's 20th birthday w'end) and was promptly run over by another car. My stuff goes on the floor now. Can't get lost that way. I've often thought some sort of dash sized cargo net would be useful.
Dean
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

:lol: I tried that......and got my stuff trampled by big footed passengers
Come on summer
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Hey Drake, welcome on board mate.

Yes, start a thread on your build. I know so here are 'purists' but some of us are not. While maybe not a Moke in the true forum, it is in the spirit of a Moke ;)

Dean, yes, that was well done mate, that took precision work from both parties there. A mate of mine, one time when we were in Adelaide, lost his wallet on New Year's Eve, had about $400 and all his usual things (no credit cards in those days!). Anyway, next day we rocked up to the local Police Station on the off chance, some kind soul handed it in, with all the cash still there. Different era back then.

I made the trays in my Moke, the return on them it upright rather than angles and slightly taller. Stuff still can fall out, but it takes more skill than it used to!
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.

Return to “Bodyshell”