Replacing the windscreen

Wally2
MMC Member

Replacing the windscreen

Post by Wally2 »

Hi all,
Having removed the windscreen from the frame (not easy!) the frame is away being refurbished, thoughts are now turning to putting it all back together.
I've been through previous posts and there seems to be more saying that you put the rubber on the screen first (after soaking it in hot soapy water) and then squeeze it all back into the frame, some using ratchet straps to apply some pressure and some washing up liquid to provide some lubrication. This seems sensible to me as it looks like it could be more difficult to put the rubber into the frame and then try and put the glass into the rubber.
No doubt I will end up trying at least both methods with lots of bad language etc. The other problem will be doing all this and not damaging the newly finished frame!
Any other thoughts/advise?
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Replacing the windscreen

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Stand it upside down on a blanket on the lawn. Position glass no bottom rail then sit on it and get the bolts in. Easy.
Come on summer
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Nigel,
Interesting method, but do you put the rubber in the frame first or on the glass first?
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I put the rubber in the bottom rail then washing up liquid in the rubber and got to it
Come on summer
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

It's definitely, soak the rubber in hot soapy water for a while, then put the rubber into the frame.
Apply washing up liquid to the glass slot in the rubber and then slide the glass in and press down.
Then its the same with the bottom rail.
Put the lot into some very old sash cramps (or use ratchet straps), squeeze carefully together and replace the bolts into the bottom rail,
Clean up and put the windscreen back on the Moke.
go to bed exhausted!
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D

Return to “Bodyshell”