Replace or keep?

rjgy

Replace or keep?

Post by rjgy »

Having stripped my Moke body of all attachments etc, I now have a dilemma. The original floor was in a very poor condition (not unusual)but still in place, Somebody has seam welded a complete new floor into the Moke above the orginal. It is a neat, sturdy installation and as I said its seam welded throughout. From the top the floor looks great and will not require any further work.
Having turned the Moke upside down I have now removed the original old floor, plus the LH & RH pannier floors under the battery and petrol tank.
What should I do, should I removed the new floor and attempt to install a proper Moke floor? This would require a huge amount of cutting, grinding, reconstruction and welding but would make the Moke "original"! or persevere with floor that's installed and fit new pannier floors as required, but end up with something that's not original but does the job!
Opinions would be welcome
64moke

Re: Replace or keep?

Post by 64moke »

Hi
if it was my moke I would do a proper job and make it original all panels are available and it will look better I know its a lot of work but it will be worth it, you will only kick your self later if you don't do it. Rob..
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

One thing to note. Before you go mad with the grinder and gas axe leave it alone and find out what's needed with the DVLA
Come on summer
rjgy

Post by rjgy »

Thanks. I think you've summed up my dilemma.
The Moke has now gone for blasting so will be able to see better how much work is required on its return.
Jersey Moke

Post by Jersey Moke »

I would go with Rob's suggestion and replace the complete floor. It's too late once it is all repainted and looks pretty again to start doing all that. It will also make it more resaleable to!

Nick
Tim

Post by Tim »

My moke has had sections of floor replaced with flat steel and other bits patched over. It looks awful and must devalue it. Eventually I will replace the whole floor and try to get it all looking original again.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Return to “Bodyshell”