Paint

rjgy

Paint

Post by rjgy »

Hi, I'm looking for some advice/opinion/views on what to paint my Moke.

The Moke is completely stripped down to bare metal, having been grit blasted and is now etch primed.
Some panels needed some filler and all the under body seams have been sealed with the appropriate sealer.

I now need to decide whether to Powder coat v 2 pack paint. What is the advice/opinion/view of members?

Richard
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Paint

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Are you talking about powder coating the whole shell? It's an awfully big thing for someone to fit in their oven if so. 2pack always looks far to shiny for my liking so I tend to stick with cellulose......Makes it a lot easier to paint the shell at home too
Come on summer
rjgy

Post by rjgy »

Thanks Nigel
As it happens the local powder coating company can easily cope with the tank/body in their oven. As Moke was previously powder coated before I had it grit blasted, its removal showed up a lot of rust damage that was hidden by the powder coating.
Think I'm leaning towards 2 pack, but will investigate cellulose as an alternative.

Richard
Tim

Post by Tim »

Powder coating is applied electrostatically so it isn't very good at covering tight internal corners. It would probably not cover inside the side panniers very well, and it won't cover pinholes at all. Its not bad for things like bumpers and seat frames though.

I'd go for two pack. If you're bothered by the gloss level there are flatting agents they can add. Its much better wearing than cellulose, but isn't really practical to paint at home.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Jez

Post by Jez »

I had mine painted in 2pack. When I got it home, I flattened it with 800 and then T-Cut which did the trick as far as I'm concerned.

Hope that help's

Jez
DBL 785B
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

rjgy wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:14 Hi, I'm looking for some advice/opinion/views on what to paint my Moke.
I now need to decide whether to Powder coat v 2 pack paint. What is the advice/opinion/view of members?

Richard
What color and what method (Powder coat v 2 pack paint) did you decide to use?
Having a moking good time!
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Color??!!! Didn't know you had moved to the USA
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 17:43 Color??!!! Didn't know you had moved to the USA
I haven't, but this computer is having issues, even though I have clicked 'English - English' it still yanks away. :lol:
Having a moking good time!

Return to “Bodyshell”