Seat belt mounts

johnv

Seat belt mounts

Post by johnv »

Afternoon all, excited new Moke owner here! (68 UK supplied) First question I wonder if anyone could show me/point me in the right direction where the seat belt mounting points go? Thanks
Bodge

Re: Seat belt mounts

Post by Bodge »

Hi John
The subject of seat belts has been discussed several times on this forum and some of it can be found here

After 1st January 1967 in the UK, all new cars were required to be fitted with 3 point front seat belts. After 1965 most cars had been fitted with standard mounting points and in 1968, further legislation was passed for the retrofit of 3 point belts in the front of cars registered on or after 1st January 1965.

The seat belt anchorage points are behind the front seats on the inner hulls, on the centre tunnel and on the rear inner hulls, just forward of the rear shock absorber mounting where the rear wing slopes down. So the straps for the belts had to be very long! The mounting point is so far back because it is the highest position behind the driver. On most cars it would be located high on the B pillar. I've seen many owners attach both top and bottom ends of the belts to the single mounting on the inner hulls behind the front seats. But this allows the belt to slip off your shoulder too easily and for the belt to pull you down onto the seat in case of an accident.
Should you wish, you can always contact me at M Parts

Return to “Bodyshell”