More Front subframe issues!

rjgy

More Front subframe issues!

Post by rjgy »

Having got my moke back on the road and really enjoying the driving experience particularly with all the nice weather. However somebody has pointed out to me that I have installed the front sub-frame - twin bolted tower mount - with the spacers on top of the towers not underneath. I'm slightly embarrass by this silly mistake but does it make any difference apart from looking incorrect to the trained eye. The Moke is running and driving like a dream and I'm not especially keen to drop the sub-frame to fit the in the correct place.
Does it matter? What do these spacers do (flat piece of metal about 3mm thick with 3 holes about 15 - 20 mm in diameter) What difference does it make?
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: More Front subframe issues!

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Yes, they should be there. Thinking about it in a simple manner, as is my way, the subframe will be located at the front and rear and the centre spacers will locate the tower tops at the correct height. Leaving them out will mean a space or bent bodywork at the front and rear positions. I don’t think you need to completely remove the subframe though, if you slackened the front mountings and undid the rear ones while supporting the subframe at the rear you should be able to then lower it enough t get the spacers in. Just like you do when replacing the steering rack
Come on summer

Return to “Bodyshell”