Roll bar

Shaun78

Roll bar

Post by Shaun78 »

Hi,I'm thinking of putting a roll bar on my moke it's a 1978 Australian with topfill tank,any one knows who makes them,I have tried saftey devices they said they dont make them and no plans to,I have a local fabricator who will make one if I need him to.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Roll bar

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

The one I had disappeared in the great clear out of four months ago. I can’t remember where, either in the skip or off to someone’s garage
Come on summer
Barnetbaz

Post by Barnetbaz »

Did you ever have any success with your roll bar? I’m interested in one as well, even if someone’s got one I can come and measure, so that I can have one made?
Shaun78

Post by Shaun78 »

Hi,no I didn't have any luck in finding a roll bar,I did speak to safety devices who make roll bars they said they didn't have any plans to make them,I gave up searching after a while,I am still restoring my moke so I might make one for it while I'm still welding.
BarrieJ

Post by BarrieJ »

Would a Portuguese one not fit?
Or modified if needed.

http://www.m-parts.co.uk/index.php?rout ... uct_id=168
Barnetbaz

Post by Barnetbaz »

I currently have a Portuguese roll bar on my 1980 Australian Moke it has been made to fit. I’m trying to put it back to original(ish) as I have no hood anyway, so there will be a Portuguese roll bar for sale fairly soon, if I can sort out the Australian bits.
Tim

Post by Tim »

It depends where your filler cap is located. Most of the ones designed for Mokes with side filler caps (from about late '79 onwards) have a leg that wants to be bolted on right where the top filler cap is positioned, so generally late model roll bars won't fit earlier Mokes.

I suspect that your best option is DIY, even if you just design it yourself and get it fabricated. Mine came from an early Moke and was built by someone back when Mokes were common. After crash testing it, I improved it with better mounts to the body and had it professionally welded so that I knew it was strong. The only problem with mine is that it makes it hard to get in the back when the roof is on. That's OK, because the roof is usally off.

There's a plan for one in Roy Scott's Moke restoration book, but it has a kink in the legs that looks a bit weird, in my opinion.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Return to “Bodyshell”