Underside colour.

BarrieJ

Underside colour.

Post by BarrieJ »

Todays question.

My 1988 Portuguese Moke has a rather plain matt white (in fact it looks like primer or a brush on job) on its underside and it looks horrible as its marked (the wheel arches look ok'ish)
The rest of the body is gloss white (got no idea of the paint code, so touch up is going to be fun)

What colour would others suggest as I want to refinish the underside and cleanup and repaint the subframe parts I can reach(these will be gloss black)
There are other parts like the brackets and hanger for the remote change that i think would look better in gloss black (which will then match the subframes)

But I am wondering if the whole of the underside would look better rubberised black or gloss white (the body was resprayed in 2013) but not very well as they didn't bother to remove the battery or do inside the tool well.
Ive not checked around the fuel tank yet (another winter job)

So your thoughts please.

Underseal is not required as we have over 300 days of sunshine and I don't plan on driving in the rain (except for a planned trip to the Uk in a couple of years time) for the Mini London to Brighton and the classic car run I used to do when I had the Tina...

Cheers again.
Doug G
MMC Member

Re: Underside colour.

Post by Doug G »

Rubberised underseal paint sounds good.

Who is going to see it and it will protect the underside from small stones. puddle splashes etc..
Last edited by Doug G on Mon Nov 15, 2021 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
Having a moking good time!
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

What did you decide to do in the end?
Having a moking good time!
BarrieJ

Post by BarrieJ »

Decided to go with a decent matt spray anti gravel white
Not a lot of decent choice here in Spain to be honest.

The rubberised stuff if it has bitumen in, is a nightmare as I sprayed it under the cortina in the Uk and then you can't ever weld without setting it alight.

The stuff I have is more like the spray used for truck beds, is quite hard wearing.
So a stiff wire brushing and then maybe some primer on the panel joins and then I will coat it up.

I did toy with black but as long as I keep it clean (don't get much rain here) it should look better than whats there now.
I can also use it inside the battery compartment to protect that (its the only bit with any rust) even though the shell is zinc plated.. :)

So thats my job for the winter.

Will put some before and after pictures up.....

Return to “Bodyshell”