89 Moke Rear Seats

Jan

89 Moke Rear Seats

Post by Jan »

I am wondering about changing my rear bench seat for individual seats.

If anyone has any experience, or indeed caveats, concerning this I would be pleased to have their advice.

The front seats seem to have 'headrests' though I don't think that they are adjustable. There is a little lever on the driver's seat that makes me wonder if the back is adjustable, though I don't think that it has moved in 'years', certainly not in the last seventeen!

Are the moke seats standard mini ones and, if they are, what model might they have been fitted in?

As I say, guidance (or indeed seats), will be welcome.

I propose to reupholster the front seats so the condition of what might go at the rear is not significant as I can get them done to match.

Many thanks for reading all of this!

Jan
Rich Wils

Re: 89 Moke Rear Seats

Post by Rich Wils »

Hi,

I have an 88 Moke the lever on LHS of my rear seat is to fold the back flat onto the seat base, mine was rusted solid and needed a lot of wd40. There is another lever at the back of the base in the middle, this releases the hooks that lock the back of the seat base in position. Using both of these levers it is possible to fold the back down then hinge the whole seat forward maximising cargo space at the back.

The seat is attached to the body by 2 hinge pins these are held in place by cir-clips. My body has other attachment points if you wanted to fit individual hinged seats, and my front passenger seat bracket had similar, so I presume that individual seats were initially an option.
Jan

Post by Jan »

Thank you for taking the time to add your experience about Moke rear seats.

Like you, I found it difficult to remove the pins that allowed the base of the seat to lift; it would seem that the circlips vanished years ago. In fact the notch in which they would fit was almost imperceptible.

Since my earlier post I have had the seats rebuilt and upholstered, in leather, by a man in Thornton Heath, SE London; absolutely splendid work at a very good price, he even made a matching spare wheel cover in vinyl; I would certainly commend him to anyone needing such skills. When the front seats were stripped down I could see that both could (originally) recline and both now do! though the mechanism might best be described as rudimentary.

Warmer weather means that I will soon be taking my Moke out, though I will have to remove the petrol tank so I can replace the fuel level sender; a job that I have been putting off all winter. The sunshine and warmer temperature have demolished all excuses to leave it any longer!

Jan
Martin108

89 Moke Rear Seats

Post by Martin108 »

Jan can you post some pictures of your seats.
Jan

Post by Jan »

Jan
IMG_20210429_210131598.jpg
IMG_20210429_210107367.jpg
IMG_20210429_210101554.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Martin108

89 Moke Rear Seats

Post by Martin108 »

Jan, those look great.
Jan

Post by Jan »

Thank you! I have to say that the man who did it made a splendid job. He sent photos of the seat frames when be had removed the old upholstery...
...it was a miracle how it all stayed together.

The cover for the spare wheel, in pvc, is also splendid.

I was also pleased that the reclining mechanism was restored.

Jan

Return to “Hood/Seats”