Substituting seats

Doug G
MMC Member

Substituting seats

Post by Doug G »

The seats in my Mini Moke are terrible.

Considering second hand seats from a Suzuki Sumuari as replacement.

Anyone know what additional? hardware will be required to install them.

It would be great to have the slide-forward-and-back facility.

Dont want the seat base to be too high.

Is there an alternative vehicle's seats that one may have used with success?
Having a moking good time!
janz
MMC Member

Re: Substituting seats

Post by janz »

Doug G wrote: Suzuki Sumuari
Wasn't that the sister car to the Suzuki Sumtimi and the Suzuki Sumhowi :lol:

On a serious note, you could always go Fibre English - looks basic, but I find them really comfy. I also believe that PJ has had luck with Cobra and Lotus Elise seats
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Doug,
Have a look at 'Seat runners for English Moke seat' in this section, Jan talks of fitting some seat slides from E-Bay, which are still available. They are only 19mm thick so do not jack the seat up too much.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

That's right. In fact as (good and bad) luck would have it, Ron Smith (yes, the green moke on his home and hood page is mine 8)) cut the driver's seat down an inch or two (at the bottom crease just above the mounting surface) when he sold it to the next owner. Apparently he was quite tall in the body. When I got it, I couldn't get behind the wheel - something to do with da belly :roll: but not helped by the steering wheel effectively being higher and the pedals closer. When I fitted the seat rails, it brought the seat back up to the correct height, but allowed me to stretch my legs - Super :D I hazard a guess you could do the same with the fibreglass seats, cutting the bottom inch off and then bolting some thick dexian to the inner surfaces (with a reinfocement plate on the outside I'd suggest) - bolt the rails to the dexian and then rails to crossmember. Would probably be less sacriligeous than cutting up a genuine metal seat... although I love mine 8)
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ

Return to “Hood/Seats”