Topless no more

Robin Jones

Topless no more

Post by Robin Jones »

I see Nigel joined the "topless no more club". So, just to keep him from feeling like an outcast, I joined the club too.
I finally got around to installing the Runamoke hood I purchased this past winter. It went on without any issues but, it is a bit disconcerting to be drilling holes through the hood and hoops. :o
I took it around the block (a few miles at speed) with the hood up just to make sure it won't blow off. And promptly folded it back up again. I suppose I'll have to remember to erect it a couple times per year just to make sure it hasn't taken a set or just to check for critters finding a home.
I can only remember a few occasions in the past five years where the hood would've come in handy. But, at least I now have that option.
I did notice quite a drop in the noise factor.(Much less wind buffeting my little coconut.) But I did get a bit of "flapping" from the straps. Maybe, next time it goes up, I'll try tightening the adjustable straps.
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Topless no more

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Wait 'til you try it with side panels.....it's. like driving a tent down the road :)
Come on summer
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

Side panels?? Really, side panels?
And, here I am thinking that a hood was for softies. :roll:
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

I quite agree. I tend to use them on a night time, so I can pile stuff in the Moke and have some room in the tent. Apart from the time I drove with them on just to see what it was like !!
Come on summer
Matt Curl

Post by Matt Curl »

I also fitted my new Run a Moke hood this spring. I agree that drilling holes round the windscreen is a bit scary.

I found that it didn't quite fit at the back until I fitted and zipped up the sidescreens. That process seemed to pull the whole thing straight and tight and it all fitted fine. I haven't driven it with the side screens on though. I can't see the point. It didn't flap but it does start to drum when you get to about 50 mph! I too have put the hood away again. Driving with the hood on is no fun - people don't tend to talk to you like they do when it's open. I bought a snow board bag to put it in. It fits a treat. All I need to do now is make a bag for the sidscreens, so I can put them safety away in the boot on the off chance that I may need them one day.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Don't leave the top folded when you park it up for winter . I put mine up but don't clip it on to the windscreen, just leave it draped. It stops creases, especially on the windows. The same goes for the sidescreens (especially so as they get used less) Try to store them flat somewhere.
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:Don't leave the top folded when you park it up for winter . I put mine up but don't clip it on to the windscreen, just leave it draped. It stops creases, especially on the windows. The same goes for the sidescreens (especially so as they get used less) Try to store them flat somewhere.

Now that is a good idea. Image
Having a moking good time!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Park it up for the winter?

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Some folk do !
Come on summer
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

Tim,
Some of us are blessed with a bit of the white flakey stuff...

Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Are you stood on top of the Moke ?
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:Are you stood on top of the Moke ?
Oi, those were my thoughts. :lol:
Having a moking good time!
Tim

Post by Tim »

I thought that kind of weather was the reason for having a soft top.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

Tim wrote:I thought that kind of weather was the reason for having a soft top.

Tim
I know, I know... I'm a softie. :roll: :roll:
No defrost, no heater, no doors, no windows.... no way! :lol:
I'll stick with my Subarus while the snow 'n salt is around...
Tim

Post by Tim »

I have to admit that I've only had mine out a couple of times all winter. I have lots of excuses though.

Spring is looking good, however.

Tim

Return to “Hood/Seats”