English Moke wiring loom

Mini Power

English Moke wiring loom

Post by Mini Power »

Where can I buy a wiring loom for our english moke? How many different options are there?
grantourer
MMC Member

Re: English Moke wiring loom

Post by grantourer »

Hi. Minipower. I have bought various looms off of Autosparks over the years. 7 or 8 I think, never had a problem, and they are easy to talk to. Thinking about it, one of the looms was for a 1968 Moke

http://www.autosparks.co.uk/
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Gijzzy

Post by Gijzzy »

This is one:
Link

And for a MK I:
Link
Difference: wiper control, alternator/dynamo and high beam switch.
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

I've been very pleased with both wiring harness's purchased from Autosparks. Think about any extras in advance and, they'll be happy to accomodate you. I bought one for a '59 Mini that had been modified quite a bit with the instruments in front of the driver. I asked them to extend the speedometer area by 12 inches & add wires for a temp gauge & tachometer. It worked perfectly.
I still found it handy to have a supply of various colored wire, bullet and blade connectors and the proper crimping tools for both.
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

My solution,Robin, was to save the wiring loms out of any BMC/BL car I scrapped over the years thereby ensuring I have a ready supply of various wiring colours.
I call it my rats nest these days :o
Come on summer
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:My solution,Robin, was to save the wiring loms out of any BMC/BL car I scrapped over the years thereby ensuring I have a ready supply of various wiring colours.
I call it my rats nest these days :o
Oh, I have a pretty good supply of wires.... some even have the properly crimped connector at one end...
The loom I yanked out of my '59 was a brand new AutoSparks unit "modified" by the DPO*. He decided it would be a good idea to extend the harness by splicing in new wires with ScotchLock connectors... Oh, and to make things even more interesting, the only wire he used was brown lampcord. :roll:

*DPO=Dumb Previous Owner.... Sooner or later we all become one....
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Why do people do that sort of thing? My current Moke had its wiring loom patched together with all sorts of bits and pieces, then all the wires were painted black. Whenever I have to trace a fault I have to start off with a rag dipped in paint thinners to try to clean the wires enough to see what colour they were. On my previous car (a Mini Van) some rabbit had rewired it with transparent speaker wire throughout. The wires are those colours for a reason!

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

On early Mokes as I found out, there are very few wires.... I started with a shhet of plywood and a Mini loom and prceeded to pull out about 60% of the wiring before I'd done
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

Is it really that many? The only missing things that I can think of are the interior light and possibly the heater motor. They should have just about everything else that an early Mini had, shouldn't they? Not that thats very much.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Heated rear 'screen. Hazard warning lights. Water temp gauge. Rear fog light. Reversing lights. Windscreen washer motor. Radio/cassette plus speakers. And several of the two speed wiper motor wires.

I used a recent(er) loom 'cos I wanted some decent wires although I kept away from one of the newer looms I've got as that would have added
Brake test switch/light. Dim dip lighting. Ballasted ignition and front spot/fog lights. :roll:
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

Aah I see. I've never owned a Mini with any of those things. I did have one with a radio once, but I took it out.

Tim
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Nigel, you would have had one very sophisticated Moke!!
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

:lol: sophisticated maybe...... but I thought the heated rear screen might be a step too far
Come on summer
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

And as for DimDip headlights...............Standard ones are dim enough for me
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

Indeed, I uprated mine with quartz halogen replacements and relays. Its particularly satisfying when an oncoming car flashes me because they think they are on high beam, and I flick them up in reply. :lol:

Tim

Return to “Electrical”