Lucas FW2 Wiper motor sweep angle

janz
MMC Member

Lucas FW2 Wiper motor sweep angle

Post by janz »

I'm looking for another FW2 and noticed some documentation mentioning that they are 110 degree sweep. When I operate the one I have I pull the lever towards me, disengage from the switch, move the wiper off the horizontal and switch it on. It sweeps from about 20 degrees from the horizontal to almost vertical - so about 70 or so degrees. Is the FW2 available with different sweep angles or can it be adjusted internally. Does anyone esle have one that works differently?
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ
Wally2
MMC Member

Re: Lucas FW2 Wiper motor sweep angle

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Jan,
I will let you know when mine arrives! The add for mine didnt mention the sweep angle but the other two which are on for £150 each both say that they provide the 'as required by listed vehicles' 110 degree sweep!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lucas-fw2-wip ... 1310wt_958
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Jan,
I'm also trying to locate a new wiper arm and wiper blade but the ones for minis and Land rovers seem too small. The arm on my Moke measures approx. 12" centre of spindle to centre of blade, and the blade measures 11". I've asked some sellers on e-bay and the classic mini ones are - arm 11.5" blade 10", I'm waiting for replies on the landy ones but their blades seem to be 10". Seems to be variations in attachment device arm to blade so its tricky getting the arm from one and blade from another? The attachment on mine is a 'spoon' shape on the arm fits into a spring loaded catch on the blade but it wobbles about like mad when operating and in the wind when not!
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Jan,
FW2 arrived! Just done a quick test on it and sure enough the sweep angle is approx. 100 degrees! I've looked at the wiper/arm/winscreen and I rekon once you have rotated it approx 10 degrees to get it off the switch I think I've got about 110 - 115 degrees sweep before the wiper blade hits the screen frame. Hopefully going to fit it tomorrow so that should be interesting! A little mod may be required in that the spindle will need cutting back as it looks far too long, and all the gubins i.e. spacers parking device etc. presumable to suite the landy will need removing.
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

Done some more research and it seems that the standard sweep angle is 110. There are 130 and 140 degree ones out there, but they are rare so I've been told. I found one today that is about 90 degrees. May buy it.
Wally2 wrote:Hi Jan,
FW2 arrived! A little mod may be required in that the spindle will need cutting back as it looks far too long, and all the gubins i.e. spacers parking device etc. presumable to suite the landy will need removing.
Chris
I think you will have to cut the shaft down and definitely remove the L/R gubbins. You should be left with a protruding casting into which the studs go to mount through the holes in the bulkhead. You should also have a rubber gasket between the casting and the bulkhead. If you can wait, I'll measure the shaft length on my 64 Moke so you can cut to the right size.
JanZ
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

hi Jan,
Thats exactly right! The parking contraption I have cut down to form aspreader plate to go over the outer rubber gasket (theres a thinner one for the motor to bulkhead side).
thanks for measuring yours for me, it will be a great help.
If you really want one with 110 degree sweep theres always the two @ £150!
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
clm

Post by clm »

If you could give a good picture of the 'bits' that go between the wiper motor and wiper blade on a moke I would love to see that too, there is deceptivly little information out there about everything needed :)

Chris
1965 Austin Moke - Rust was not free, I paid dearly for it
1961 Morris Traveller - Bent but repairable
1960 Morris saloon.. err wagon.. err Pickup, yeah that's it! - My first car
1980 Mini 95 Van shell - pickup load floor donor
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Chris,
Pics show bits to mount the Lucas FW2 wiper motor
From the motor the first is a thin rubber gasket tha goes up against the inside of the bulkhead, the second is a thicker rubber gasket that goes on the outside of the bulkhead. next is a metal spreader plate, followed by two brass washers containing rubber seals. Then its a plain washer, plain nut and the a nylock nut.
This may also be of use
http://up.picr.de/8160465mpv.pdf
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

janz wrote: If you can wait, I'll measure the shaft length on my 64 Moke so you can cut to the right size.
Hi Jan, while you are measuring the shaft, can you also measure your wiper arm and blade?
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
clm

Post by clm »

Thank you Chris for that picture breakdown, clears it up greatly!

I will be saving that to my info files for sure :)

Chris #2
1965 Austin Moke - Rust was not free, I paid dearly for it
1961 Morris Traveller - Bent but repairable
1960 Morris saloon.. err wagon.. err Pickup, yeah that's it! - My first car
1980 Mini 95 Van shell - pickup load floor donor
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Jan,
Just fitted the new wiper motor and with my wiper arm (13") and wiper blade(11") its just touching the windscreen frame on full sweep (must be 110 degree) so if I go for a classic mini arm (11.5") and wiper blade (10") I should be ok! Shortened the shaft to 40mm.
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

That looks great Chris. I didn't get a chance to measure the shaft last weekend - Moke is kept off site but can still do so today or tomorrow. I guess you have it sussed. I will probably go for a similar one with all the gubbins. I found one that is just the motor, but by the time all the gaskets are bought the price will soon be up there with the complete ones. Also, I have never seen the brass washers with seals for sale. I have them on my 64 but overlooked them until you mentioned it.
Cheers, Jan
JanZ
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Jan,
Didnt fit the brass washers in the end as they overlapped the spreader plate, should be ok though as there are two rubber gaskets. The sweep angle seems to get less the dryer the windscreen becomes which seems a bit odd!
Managed to order a single arm and blade fron Jonspeed, so hopefully they may make a difference.
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Chris,
This may spoil your day, but I feel I must tell you. I bought a N.O.S. wiper motor for my Moke and all shiney and new it was,it worked fine too but I too noticed that the sweep would be less if used on a dry screen. When the Moke was due for its last MOT I was checking lights brakes etc and turned on the wiper.... No movement of the arm but the motor was whirring happily!! When I stripped it down I found the aluminium drive wheel had stripped its splines where it mounts on the steel shaft, the cure was simple enough, I just cannibalised the old U/S motor for the requisite part and apps been well since. Looking back though, perhaps the changing sweep dimension was an early warning ?
Come on summer
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

When I operate mine, it stalls initially - no whirring - especially on a dry screen - but when I move the arm slightly, it goes happily. I took mine apart, splines are OK, but sweep is only from about 15 degrees off hor. to 5 degrees off vert. All the units I have enquired about are 110 or 130 degree sweep. I'll get a 110...... As you said Nigel, you never use it anyway. Normally the 64 doesn't go out in the rain, and if it does, best keep a squeegy on a handle to hand as the FW2 is kinda 'Chocolate Teapot' material :lol: Must admit though... when the MOT man saw mine, he just burst out laughing! (talking about the wiper motor of course :wink: )
JanZ

Return to “Electrical”