Solenoid

Doug G
MMC Member

Solenoid

Post by Doug G »

The starte solenoid died on my Mini Moke. It was the original circa 1973 solenoid.

I had a choice.

1. Buy one in UK £7.00 and get my family to bring it out at Easter. = No moking until then.

2. Buy one in UK and get it posted out. Total +/-£15.00. = You know how long my Moking takes to get here =No moking until then.

3. Buy one in UK and get FedEx's/DHL out. Total +/-£57.00. = No moking for 4 days.

4. Buy one in here £48.00. = 6 hour delay to moking.

5. Sell the Mini Moke as is. = No more moking.

What would you do?

I took option 4. :mrgreen: :?

Why do solenoids die?
Having a moking good time!
Tim

Re: Solenoid

Post by Tim »

What I did was option 6. Rat pile of spare parts to locate early push button style solenoid.

Original early ones seem to be very long lasting, but if they do fail they can be manually operated by pressing the button on the end.

Technically speaking a solenoid is an optional extra, you can still drive a Moke without one, its just not very convenient to get started.

I've heard that a lot of the modern ones don't last very long. I'm not sure whether that's just the early style ones or the later ones as well. These days, even stuff labelled "Lucas" is just repro, often made down to a price in the far east.

There's two things that tend to go wrong with them. Either the coil in the electromagnet burns out, in which case they don't do anything, or the electrical contacts burn and stop working, in which case they'll click, but you might have to try them several times before they do anything - until they stop completely.

In your circumstances, buying locally probably isn't a bad idea. Can you get stuff from the US suppliers any cheaper?

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

It is less expensive (I nearly wrote 'cheaper') to buy in UK IF I can wait. I know a number of people that come out regularly so can always ask them to bring them. in their suitcase.

Heavy parts are a bit more difficult.

Remember too, that I also have to pay 59.2% Import duty etc on the CIF (Cost Insurance & Freight) on the part if shipped in.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Just out of interest Doug, does your solenoid have a rubber top? Some of the early ones that look like the one in your picture and if you press the top it will work manually
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:Just out of interest Doug, does your solenoid have a rubber top? Some of the early ones that look like the one in your picture and if you press the top it will work manually
Mine looks like this:

There is no 'rubber' button. :(
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

My understanding, so I am led to believe, is that you can start a Mini Moke using that rubber button on those 'older' versions of the solenoid. Is this correct? :D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Pressing the rubber bit will turn the engine over, yes. If the ignition is on then it should start.... If you look at your solenoid there is a lump in the black bit between the two large terminals, on early versions that little bit could be pressed and would do the same thing.
Of course you could always short out the two terminals, a big spanner worked for me, there's usually a big scary flash and the engine starts, mind you the spanner tends to look a bit unhappy after this mistreatment :?
On the plus side........ You get home :)
Come on summer
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

If you actually enjoy your Moke starting, don't purchase a new one like Tim pictured.
I never had any luck getting one to last even six months. Never bothered to tear one apart but I've been told that there's an internal circlip that doesn't have enough of a groove to keep it in place. Once it pops off, both the solenoid and push button are worthless.
I tend to use the one Doug pictured. (Same as an old Ford)
Although I have sourced a NOS pushbutton solenoid I just haven't bothered fitting it yet.
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

Doug,
I'd go for the option of parking on a hill, or flashing across the solenoid with the wife's best sewing scissors/kitchen implements/brass ornaments etc.

!

Roger G
My other car is a Moke......
My other Moke is an Ant....
Tim

Post by Tim »

Early Minis (I think they changed to electric start solenoids by the time the Mokes came along) only have a push button start. The button is on the floor beside the gear lever. You turn the key to the run position (it only has a choice of off or on) lean down and press the button. The engine whirs over and starts. Its nice and simple.

When they first started fitting electrically operated solenoids, they used the style I showed above, which can work either way, but you do need the bonnet up to do it, so make sure its not in gear or you might run yourself down.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Just to say that the replacement operation went well and the Mini Moke starts well now.

My wallet is looking a bit slimmer now

Oops wrong picture That was the 'BEFORE'

This is the 'AFTER'

Return to “Electrical”