trailer/caravan electrics

garry clayton

trailer/caravan electrics

Post by garry clayton »

Hi
I am going to be fitting electrics for a small trailer to my Aussie moke. Has anyone got got any tips for both either or
1 fitting the electrics
2 legalities on what needs to be wired up, as I don't have hazards.
3 Any places that I should visit when we are travelling around Europe?
grantourer
MMC Member

Re: trailer/caravan electrics

Post by grantourer »

Hi Garry. You need the basics on your trailer, side lights, brake lights, indicators and if fitted to your vehicle, a rear fog light. Hazards will not be needed if your vehicle does not have them. Our '81 Aussie does not have hazards and we tow with no problem. as for sights to visit, depends where you are aiming for. How about including IMMM 2015 Switzerland in your holiday.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
garry clayton

Post by garry clayton »

Just been looking at the events that are on and have posted on the thread for it. would love to come but have to weigh up whether we can. We have got a wedding to got to in Krakow Poland the weekend before. we are looking at the possibility of going to the wedding first then driving on to the IMMM after.

Thanks for the info on the trailer lighting. Did you get the electrics done or were they on the moke already?
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

If travelling in Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland (and plus other EU countries 8) ) you need safety equipment including but not limited to a high visibility jacket, a self-test breathalyser(France), reflective warning triangle etc.

I am sure that the AA and/or the RAC will be able and happy to advise you.

http://shop.theaa.com/store/driving-in-europe
Having a moking good time!
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

When I wired up my trailer electrics I simply connected in at the bullet connectors for the rear lights. Pretty easy really as everything is there and just needs some connectors soldering/crimping on some lengths of wire to run to the tow ball area
Come on summer
garry clayton

Post by garry clayton »

Thanks Nigel
That is what the plan was as I don't want to cut into the original loom. My only worry is the flasher unit might not me man enough for the job. I was going to look at a mini replacement if it wont do the job.

Kind regards

Garry
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

When it's all connected up try the indicators, if they are a bit slow then it's easy to swap the flasher unit ..... I think I found the one I used in a box of bits at the back of the garage ( I wasn't going to buy one was I ?)
Come on summer
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

As far as a flasher is concerned. I had problems with mine, until I found a mod on an Aussie site. use a Ford Fiesta electronic one, you will need to add an earth but it works very well. You can get them for the bay of fleas.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FIESTA-E ... 3a87117337
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Tim

Post by Tim »

Most modern electronic flasher units should be fine. Alternatively if the trailer can be fitted with LED replacement globes that should work too. Personally I've always just used the standard flasher unit, it slows down a little but still flashes OK.

I hope your caravan is tiny. I recently had a crash-course in towing caravans and I wouldn't want to do it with a Moke.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Google eriba puck Tim. Mines excellent, they're very popular with the mini fraternity though I don't think you have them down there
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

Yes, I know pucks. I don't reckon there are many of them here. Our caravans tend to be a bit bigger, and aluminum bodies are much more common than GRP.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

I thought it was the Americans that were always bigger?
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

Yeah, their RVs are massive compared to ours. We're in between the US and UK for vehicle size.

Tim

Return to “Electrical”