starter motor for positive earth?

bandad

starter motor for positive earth?

Post by bandad »

Hi everyone,

The starter motor has fallen off my 1965 Austin Moke :(

I managed to have the presence of mind to not switch off the engine, whilst I checked out what was making a lot of noise under the bonnet. I found that the top fixing lug on the starter had cracked and sheared off. The lug was still securely fixed to the engine, but the motor was hanging off the bottom fixing only. Some part of it sounded like it was clattering on the starter ring. I was able to attach a bungee strap round the motor and secure it to the front grille. That stopped the noise, and we were able to drive home, being 10 miles away.

I now need a new, or recon, starter. My concern is that the Moke is still positive earth. If I get a more recent starter, will I find that I have four reverse gears when I start it?

Any suggestions on where to find a suitable replacement?

Bob
spider
MMC Member

Re: starter motor for positive earth?

Post by spider »

The Starters for Positive and Negative Earth are electrically the same and it will spin the same direction regardless as to how it's connected to the battery.

https://www.minispares.com/product/Clas ... o%20search
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
Tim

Post by Tim »

If it was a problem (and its not) converting from positive to negative earth is dead easy. The most time consuming part is turning the battery around.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
bandad

Post by bandad »

Thanks Spider and Tim,
Your reassurance is welcome and so is the link.

Bob
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Any time Bob :)
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.

Return to “Electrical”