Portugese Wiring Loom - routing etc...

Drake
MMC Member

Portugese Wiring Loom - routing etc...

Post by Drake »

HI all,

I'm building/Restoring an AMC cub and I've puchased a brand new loom for a Portugese Moke (as that was the nearest spec to the build I need for this vehicle due to MOT and engine fitted)

Question is when I lay the loom out and look at pictures I have i'm trying to work out how it routes through the car.

The obvious place to start is the speedo, I assume that the hole is drilled behind the dash panel for access into the engine bay? Wiring for indicator etc then through the parcel shelf to the steering column? I plan to change to early switch gear however initial plan is to get everything working using the late type switches then convert across.

Battery feed will be down the O/S to connect to Solonoid on O/S inner wing?
Where does the reverse light switch wiring route?
Brake light switch - is it via pedal box on a Portugese Moke or to a hydraulic swicth under bonnet?
Flasher unit?
Fuse box? and what style fuse box is used (May use a modern blade type) Again is this mounted to the O/S inner wing.

How does the wiring route to rear? on the AMC it was down the O/S however looking at pictures it looks like it should be the N/S on a Moke?

Any help greatly appreciated as I'm trying to drill holes / fixing brackets etc before paint.

Many thanks
Drake.....
Drake
MMC Member

Re: Portugese Wiring Loom - routing etc...

Post by Drake »

Pics say a thousand words so see attached

The piece of paper in the last shot is a MIni Clubman loom but nowt matches so I found another for the Portugese Loom on line just not had chance to study it yet..
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi Drake. I think you need to run the loom where It will go. As your base is the Cub, it will need to follow that route. Wiring is the one thing that causes problems on vehicles, where in the country are you?
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Drake
MMC Member

Post by Drake »

Im in very wet and miserable Yorkshire !!! or it is at the moment.

I'm happy to run it as per the Moke to make things simplier and make the modifcations as I go along. If the wiring does run down the N/S (Passenger on a RHD car) then i'll happily make the holes and route it to suit.

Thanks
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi Drake. Ahh a bit far to offer a hand, as I have rewired quite a few vehicles. I know there are people in Yorkshire, Sunny or not, who have rebuilt Mokes, hopefully one of them may be able to assist you.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I think, if you're changing to early switchgear it would be better done before installing the loom. Get yourself a roll of non sticky loom tape and then you can unwrap your loom, make proper substitutions of the wires and rewrap the loom. That way the wires will be long enough and the finished job won't look nasty.
The reversing light switch is on the side of the gear change and on a mini the wiring runs under the Carpet. It will have to run inside the passenger area otherwise it would be too close to the exhaust
Brake light switch...it depends which type of pedal box you have and also whether you have a split braking system
The flasher unit usually clips/hangs inside the instrument binnacle (I say hangs because it depends how good the clip is)
The fuse box would be a 4 fuse type and mounted on the bulkhead inside the engine compartment

And it's not too miserable up here, just breezy at the moment
Come on summer
Drake
MMC Member

Post by Drake »

Thanks NIgel - very helpful. I had a feeling the flasher unit must be inside the binacle. I have some amlgamating tape (bought a load when I did the wiring on my Anglia but thats another story!!)

As seems to be the case with this rebuild I will make it up as I go along and hope I dont make too many mistakes :lol:
I've just ordered the last bits I need to make a decent start on fitting this, I'll route the loom best way I can.

I have a deadline of the 22nd Feb to have it at least a rolling car that hopefully runs !!
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Use the amalgamating tape at the ends and at branches, the loom tape goes everywhere else
Come on summer

Return to “Electrical”