Voltage stabiliser

j Beeton

Voltage stabiliser

Post by j Beeton »

Hi all, I think I may have solved why my car is showing as overheating of the fitted temp gauge. The voltage stabiliser is reading as 13.65v when engine running on the instrument connection side, so I suspect it is faulty as it should read 10v

Also mini spares only sell ones mad for neg earth , but as it is only an inductive device would this matter?....

Thanks....James
spider
MMC Member

Re: Voltage stabiliser

Post by spider »

Hi James,

I'm guessing here you measured the voltage with a Multimeter? The original stabalisers (regulators) are a vibrating reed type and so you can't measure the output voltage with a normal meter, you really need a thermal meter, like a Smiths Voltmeter to do so.

The new stabalisers that are available these days are Solid State and so are polarity conscious. I have seen someone who does them in positive earth. I'll have a look and come back on that.
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Somerfords have them

http://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/eshop/in ... ts_id=4920

reasonable price too.
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

Hi thanks for reply and information, and yes you are correct the "regulated" output is more difficult to read with a DVM as it detects V changes so quickly , but you can see there is nominally around 10v so that is good. I found the fault with it though as the earth terminal was HR , so I filed it clean and soldered between this and the track feeding the coil and all sorted , works fine! I also found that somerford minis sell +ve earth units and if I have any problems I will buy from them. I recently had a faulty part from them and after a quick phone call they sent me a replacement which arrived next day so excellent service...!

Now got to sort out the fuel gauge , as this is not registering. I fitted a new sender unit , and suspect yet another earth connection problem , because if I short the cable to earth the gauge rises towards full so I know the cabling and connections are all correct.......hope to drive the car gain thus weekend!!......James
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi James, if you have earth problems, to the body shell, you can always add an earth wire back to the main loom earth, near the horn.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate

Return to “Electrical”