18 Volt on my battery

mauritiusmoke

18 Volt on my battery

Post by mauritiusmoke »

Hello All,

I check today my alternator because I saw a explosion of a battery due to bad regulator, so I check it just for my feeling and the result was bad!!!!

It a old Lucas alternator, I didn't find the model or serial number, I don't think I can find just the regulator here.

I read that same model has a separate regulator but I didn't find anything. I have to Wire connected, one direct to the battery, the other I don't know.

Idle: 13,4 V (good for me)
increase rpm, up to 18,4 V.

What do you think?

Thanks
From France, living in Mauritius with a AEM scout 998cc 1987_88
Tim

Re: 18 Volt on my battery

Post by Tim »

It sounds like a stuffed regulator to me. Most alternators have the regulator inbuilt, but the ones used in Australian Mokes in the late'60s and early '70s had a seperate regulator mounted on the RHS of the firewall.

There are a few Minis in Mauritius so you need to find a local expert and see if they can suggest a solution, believe there is a Mini club over there. It should be possible to adapt an alternator from a more modern car, with an inbuilt regulator. The most difficult part will be mounting it.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
woodypup59

Re: 18 Volt on my battery

Post by woodypup59 »

Are you sure your voltmeter is working & calibrated properly ?

If a rectifier has gone in the alternator, it will put out some AC voltage ontop of the DC which will confuse most digital meters. A high quality analogue instrument (like an AVO) will be less susceptible to this interference.

Return to “Electrical”