What are the usual suspects?

Souwester

What are the usual suspects?

Post by Souwester »

My (Cagiva) Moke has just fallen at the first fence of the MoT. Neither front nor back sidelights work BUT when you turn them on the dashboard lights DO work. Headlights, indicators horn and rear fog light all work too.

My suspicion was that there was a connector at fault behind the dashboard but I can't find it. (No I admit I have not taken out the dashboard and really do not intend to.

What I am hoping for is for someone to say 'Oh the xyz connector often comes loose.'

Thanks,

Kelvin
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

ZRe: What are the usual suspects?

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I've had the same thing with minis in the past if, and it's a big if, the wiring is similar. On the mini it turned ou to be the fuse (number2) I believe. Try checking the spring clips in the fuse box too as they corrode etc
Come on summer
grantourer
MMC Member

Re: What are the usual suspects?

Post by grantourer »

According to my Portuguese Moke, the side lights go through the fuse box, as Nigel says, on contact 7 & 8 should have a Red cable one side and Red/Green on the other side. red/Green go to the side lights. hope this helps.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
dingbat0

Post by dingbat0 »

Just had the same problem after full strip-down and rebuild on my Portuguese, after much deliberation I finally found it to be no. 3 fuse, the brown wire that feeds live to no.7, removed Lucar connector and fitted new, now works fine, worth a try, Mick.
Souwester

Post by Souwester »

Thanks for all the suggestions. What threw me was that power was reaching the switch and also the speedo light etc on the dashboard. In the end it proved to be a white multi-wire connector under the dashboard. A rubber band or even a cable tie pulling the two parts together seems the best solution.

Return to “Electrical”