No high beam

Tim

No high beam

Post by Tim »

Its almost winter here now, and very dark when I leave work. I jumped in the Moke the other night and realised that I only had low beam on the headlights. I didn't need high beam to get home so that was OK.

After a lot of fiddling about I found that the fault was in the indicator/headlight switch mechanism. A terminal that attached the high beam wire to the switch had fatigued and broken off. I was able to solder it back on so hopefully it will be OK.
The switch mechanism needed a thorough clean, it was full of dust and bits of copper powder where the primitive switching mechanism has been grinding away at itself.

What is cool is that the switch body is date stamped 4/77, so its the original. Its only been in there for 42 years, no wonder it was a bit dusty!

I haven't driven it again, the drought seems to have broken and there's plenty of snow on the mountain!

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Return to “Electrical”