Starter motor won't disengage

Jersey Moke

Starter motor won't disengage

Post by Jersey Moke »

Hi, Can anyone help me out. I have just gone out to start my Moke up and the starter motor will not disengage when i started the car. I have disconnect the battery and hoped the this would sort it out. But, when I reconnected the battery the starter motor re-engaged even without the keys in the ignition or the ignition being turned on.

The starter motor is only about a month old as my old one packed up. I brought it from Mini Spares.

Anyone got any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks

Nick
Wally2
MMC Member

Re: Starter motor won't disengage

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Nick,
I'm assuming the starter is and inertia type and not a pre engaged one. The thing to be careful on these is the number of teeth on the pinion matches the flywheel starter ring. I see that the starter from Mini Spares has 9 teeth (to suit a flywheel with 107 teeth) whereas the ones from Mini Sport has 10 teeth (to suit flywheel starter ring with 129 teeth). If the teeth on the pinion doesn't match the flywheel starter ring then it can jam up. From what I understand the early minis should have a 9 tooth pinion up to 84/85 but if you have an engine from a Metro then you may need a 10 tooth pinion. I had a similar problem when I replaced the pinion with 10 teeth when I should have had a 9, didnt do any damage but it did jam in place.
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Wally2
MMC Member

Re: Starter motor won't disengage

Post by Wally2 »

Any news on the starter motor jamming up?
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D

Return to “Electrical”