Replacing a wiring loom

Doug G
MMC Member

Replacing a wiring loom

Post by Doug G »

Has anyone here replaced the wiring loom in their Mini Moke?

What the problems encountered in doing so?

I have replacement loom is there a 'lay man's' guide for me to obtain and follow?

I need a copy of "Rewiring a Mini Moke for Dummies", even if used once. :D .
Having a moking good time!
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Replacing a wiring loom

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

You look at (for example) a Haynes manual, specifically the wiring diagram pages. If you study one for a mini of the same era as your moke you will learn what colour wire goes where. Yes, I know there will be differences but the important stuff will be the same and the colour coding of the wires will be the same.
Then it’s a case of laying out the new loom on the floor so you can spread it out and following the wires.......it should all make itself known to you then
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

You use that word 'should' rather than 'will', why" :lol:
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

The thought of 12v wiring fills me with a sense of unnerving dread. :? :o :?
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

If you google. Lucas wiring colour guide. You will find some interesting reading.
The first page I read(just now) was from an mob site so while the list can look long and complex you can ignore a lot of the listings eg. Window lift wiring, interior light, fog light hazard warning etc
It will at least give you a starter guide
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Ah yes 'Lucas the prince of darkness'. :lol:
Jez

Post by Jez »

Last year I replaced my wiring loom in my 64 English Moke. I ordered and received from Mini Spares a classic Mini wiring loom. I removed the internal light wire and the petrol tank sender wire and it was good to go.

Admittedly, I employed the services of a car electrician who was approximately 90 years old but absolutely knew his stuff !

Jez
DBL 785B
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
rjgy

Post by rjgy »

I replaced the loom in my Aussie Moke with classic mini loom. It's a bit daunting to begin with, but once you identify where each wire goes, by labeling with masking tape and understanding the wiring diagram in Haynes manual, it was very logical. Disregard (cut out) the wiring you don't need such as interior lights etc. It's very satisfying when it all works
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Got both our wiring looms from Paul at Vintage Wiring in Oz. Each cable was numbered and came with a list of where each cable started and finished, absolute doddle to do.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Tim

Post by Tim »

I've replaced wiring looms in both Minis and Mokes, and its actually very easy. Mokes are easier than minis because there are far fewer places where you have to thread them through difficult spots. The worst bit is where the rear loom goes through the side pannier with the fuel tank in it. You really have to drop the tank out to do it. Also where the wire tot he RHS rear lights runs through the section under the rear floor. My suggestion is that when you pull the old loom out, tie some bits of string to it and pull them through the tight spots so you can use them to pull the new loom back in. New wiring looms are much softer than old dried out ones so they are easier to get through.

As said above, the wiring colour code is a big help. If you take note of where the various connectors go on the back of each component, its all pretty straight-forward, just a matter of working through things systematically.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I've posted a couple of scans of the BMC Moke Wiring diagram from the Australian supplement to the Mini repair manual. I don't like the format, but at least its a Moke digram, rather than Mini.

https://www.gallery.mokeclub.org/albums ... g_Diag.pdf
https://www.gallery.mokeclub.org/albums ... ag_Key.pdf

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Return to “Electrical”