Hurricane Irma

Freewheeling banter.....anything goes as long as it's clean and nothing to do with Mokes.
Tim

Hurricane Irma

Post by Tim »

Are you Ok Doug?

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Dean
MMC Member

Re: Hurricane Irma

Post by Dean »

Just wondering that myself after seeing reports about Barbuda (very close to Doug in St Kitts).
Hope all is well Doug.
Dean
David Hunt
MMC Member

Post by David Hunt »

Not only Doug in St Kitts but we also have a member in St Thomas on US Virgin Islands and three others in Florida on Key Largo and Jensen Beach and Winter Park so let's hope all are OK?
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Yep, I am OK.

The eye of Hurricane Irma passed about 40-50 miles North of St.KItts.

We had 'light' winds circa (70mph + gusts) in comparison to the Cat 5 (180 mpg+ gusts) that devastated Barbuda (40 miles North of us), St.Barths (moke country), St.Maarten, St.Martin, Anguilla and the Virgin Islands.

It was coming over us. I told Helen and Megan to get what they wanted and take it down to our apartment below (hurricane hole) and be willing to say goodbye to the rest as there is no way our roof would survive a Cat 5 hurricane passing over.

I was supposed to fly to UK that Wednesday. Finally left on the Friday and got there Saturday night to see Megan into University.

I was supposed to fly back to St.KItts on Wednesday 20th, but the eye of Hurricane Maria passed about 40-50 miles South of St.KItts. Hurricane Maria flattened Dominica and severely damaged Puerto Rico plus an bit more on the Virgin Islands.

I am reminded the 'Charge of the Light Brigade' paraphrased here somewhat:

Half a league, half a league onward
Hurricane coming we wondered.
Hurricane to the north of us
Hurricane to the south of us
Lightening and thunder
into the jaws of death
lay the islands scattered thereunder
Their's not to reason why
Theirs but to hunker down and cry.

It is not the actual hurricane that is so bad - as bad as they are, but it is the aftermath and devastation for weeks (and months after) that really grinds people down.
It is easy to think what it is like - but those thoughts don't come close. You can manage without electricity. You can cook with gas etc. However reality strikes home when one has to tote water from somewhere (pool of a truck) to fill toilet cisterns (you learn not to flush after #1's), toting water to wash in (from a bucket) as not everyone has a cistern or if they do not a pressurized water system. We have an 800 gallon water tank in garage. Fortunately water main supply was restored about two days after each hurricane struck In previous hurricanes it was longer much longer. Another issue is getting gasoline for the generator. You only run the generator for intervals to keep food in fridge and learn to do all other things when it is running. Not to mention laundry. You hope you have enough dry and tinned stuff.
Internet forums pale into oblivion. :lol:

I can't put the damage into words . . . total devastation, horrendous, wiped out, come to mind - but don't go any where near describing the damages in the surrounding islands. I have seen pictures, but they don't really do justice to the actuality.
We mainly suffered some damage to coastal roads a few piers etc along with some houses.

I finally left UK last Saturday and got here that night.
British Airways fight was to be London - Antigua - St.Kitts but for various reasons (collecting crew, fuel and PuertoRico's radar for traffic control down) the flight was London - Antigua - Punta Cana (Dominican Republic) - St.Kitts.

My wife was here in St.Kitts at home alone with the dogs and cat for Hurricane Maria.
We had just completed installing the roll-down metal hurricane shutters. We are upgrading from the old (now rotting) wood shutters.
Power, water, internet and phone services (land lines and mobiles) went out for a bit.
We have a stand-by generator.
I did not know for about 24 hours if she was OK. I had asked friends to check on her, but they were incommunicado as well!!!
We lost a few shingles off the roof. Pool is a bit green at the moment.
Two idiots broke into one of my cars (Moke was in the garage :D ) and trashed contents in it (not too bad) reclined the front seats had a sleep, then stole the windscreen wipers. They also managed to stop the radio working. The rear quarter light will cost about US$330.00 to replace.
Helen saw them (we suspect it is them) the following evening in the garden trying to get into the apartment at 7:30pm. Our biggest dog cornered them, but then they managed to escape as Helen let out the other three dogs.

Other than that, we are basically OK and are truely grateful we did not receive worse.

Not so for the other islands that took them head on. :cry:
Having a moking good time!
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Doug,
Great to hear from you and to hear that you and your family are ok, you had us all worried for a while there!
Are things slowly getting back to normal?
Sorry to hear about the robbers, you would think that would be the last on their minds at such a time, but I suppose some just take advantage of the situation.
All the best
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Tim

Post by Tim »

Well, that's good news. You're all alive and well!

I hope that things come back together reasonably quickly.

All the best
Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

We are OK but neighbouring islands not so lucky.

Will have to drain pool as the filters will be overwhelmed. 9,000 gallons down the drain, At least I can give it a good scrub. :D
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

David Hunt wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 19:27 Not only Doug in St Kitts but we also have a member in St Thomas on US Virgin Islands and three others in Florida on Key Largo and Jensen Beach and Winter Park so let's hope all are OK?
Has anyone heard from them?

Return to “Side Scream”