Current status

Freewheeling banter.....anything goes as long as it's clean and nothing to do with Mokes.
Doug G
MMC Member

Current status

Post by Doug G »

I want to rewire my Mini Moke with the new loom I got from Australia several months ago.

An outpouring.

I have a friend (we can discuss that definition in another post) is pretty good mechanically and with 12v electronics, and is an ardent Land Rover (series) enthusiest. He has a sideline here of rewiring yachts and boats and installing various bits of equipment on them.

Confession time: I however am 'rather' hopeless with 12v electronics and electronics in general.

I got the 59D4 Lucas Type Distributor with Electronic Ignition,
https://www.minisport.com/mini-59d4-luc ... ition.html
Anyone advise anything I should worry about or be aware of before it is installed?

Asked him to help, he declined/refused.
Suggested I do research and do it myself.
(Well if I need my appendix removed I am not going to go and study medicine to do it myself!)

He has fallen on rather hard times and little or no income, so and I again reached out and proposed that a US$1,000.00 (currently about £1,360.00) be exchanged.
Again he has declined/refused.
He also added that I should have only got the points only :
SKUACSKIT8 Mini Electronic Ignition - LUCAS 59D4 distributor
but they were more expensive than the whole thing. :shock:

Oh well, no problem.
I told him it was OK not to worry and I'd muddle through.

1. What would you say was a fair or reasonable fee for rewiring a 1973 Aussie style/model Mini Moke in your neck of the woods?

2. Would you attempt it (rewiring) yourself?
Having a moking good time!
grantourer
MMC Member

Re: Current status

Post by grantourer »

Don't know about the answer to 1 or the cost involved, but have rewired 4 Mokes. English, Aussie and Portuguese. No real problems.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

How long did the first one take you? :roll:
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Doug G wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 20:39 How long did the first one take you? :roll:
I usually take, about a day to rewire a Moke or Mini. Mokes are relatively easy, no doors etc. to get in the way.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

The 59D4 is for an A+ engine.
Is yours an A+?
Dean
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

As graham says it’s pretty easy. If you lay the loom out on the floor you can pretty much work out what goes where and then as you remove the old loom you can see what plugs into what and where. Just take it steady and enjoy that smug feeling when it all works. :D
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Dean wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:50 The 59D4 is for an A+ engine.
Is yours an A+?
Dean
Oh dear.

A+ A series engine. The A+ engine came on to the mini scene in 1983. It has a thicker block to box flange and is generally more robust than the standard A series. Operationally it's pretty much identical and is the same capacity. Heads/boxes are swappable.

Here are the A+ distinguishing features:

Strengthening ribs on the back of the block at the clutch end

Thicker block-gearbox flange

Dizzy clamp is a forked plate with a single bolt into the block

Dipstick sits directly in block, not in a tube, and is shorter

Verto clutch, slave on plate slanting downwards, short arm. (NOTE: The very first A+ engines had a pre-verto clutch)

Alternator bracket mounting holes are closer to the rad on the A block

'A+' stickers on rocker cover if a Metro!

NOTE : The 1275 crank fouls the inside of the gearbox casting on earlier 1960s unless the 'box came off an "S" originally. They standardised in '68 or '69.

The change over to A+ didn't occur on all parts at once. Some engines had eg: A+ block and pre-verto clutch, and some had A block/box and A+ bits bolted on. Maybe BL running down stock.

One correspondent has an A+ engine as described above, but it was the original engine from a 1981 New Zealand model 1275GT. It does not have a verto clutch, but the gearbox is the A+ type, and so is the block. It could have just been a test by Austin-Rover to see if their engine was any good before it was released in the UK in 1983.

It is possible to put an A series engine onto an A+ gearbox and vice versa, but the transfer housing and drop gears *MUST* be the same type as the gearbox, as the idler bearings are different sizes. Apart from that nothing to it.

I suspect that my engine is circa 1973 and as such is not an A+ engine. :(

What can go wrong? :shock:

Return to “Side Scream”