Details of National

Loch Tay, Scotland
Pig Pen Love Machine

Re: Details of National

Post by Pig Pen Love Machine »

Its starting to look as if some real Mokers want next years National in Derbyshire which suits me.

Happy to help organise and since its the 50th lets go for a big turn out of Mokes out and about.

PPLM
teardrop
MMC Member

Post by teardrop »

Sorry to put a damper on all, but i am sure the committee ruled some time ago " that when the imm is in this country we dont have a national" are we saying as members we should make this decision null and void now as we all pay subs we are entitled to have our say at the AGM . Do we also say why do we attend the IMM at all now that we have a IMMM which might i add is a lot better , yes the forum does work at the moment people getting involved in quite a serious subject.
Paul
PS keep it going we might even get a proper subject going
loose wheels dont roll forever
Pig Pen Love Machine

Teardrop

Surely you are not suggesting that next year Mokers will be limited to attending two major events the IMM and IMMM with no club National in the year of our 50th Birthday?

Personally i would gladly drop the IMM and to be honest i dont plan on going next year to Kent. We are invited as a club but not really wanted by the mini crews.
If thats the club rules then at the appropriate time and assuming other real Mokers are in support i suggest an immediate request to change the rules to facilitate our own National.If something prevents us from holding one we should find a way around it even if its re named

I am not usually a Forum person but having signed up to receive the emails it is proving useful and hopefully a way of progressing change.
Whilst on the subject of change could i suggest a freshening up of the Club www before the funds start to head South

PPLM
teardrop
MMC Member

Post by teardrop »

Pigpen

I am not suggesting anything but rules is rules and as we know the committee likes them rules .
loose wheels dont roll forever
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

I always thought that the national did not happen in a UK IMM year, so that members could go to the IMM. No reason to not do our own thing at an IMM, with regards to next years IMM. I would suggest we attend and then take a decision at the 2014 AGM.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
dingbat0

Post by dingbat0 »

Having only ever done one IMM, this year in Italy, other than the superb drive down and back and company of the Moke club members, there was nothing once at the IMM that impressed, so I do not think I will be attending Kent with my two. To me the IMMM , the Nationals, and the Welsh are far superior and more fun. Surely as a club on our 50th year of the Moke something special could be arranged with just Mokes to celebrate the event, as Chris suggests maybe in the Midlands where everyone would have an equal access to the event so maybe a better turnout than Kent might be achieved, I always thought rules are made to be broken and changed as well as abided to! If when the IMM is in the UK, no National is organised, is thisalso the case for the IMMM? Mick.
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

OK so instead of having a 'National' next year maybe we could have a Moke 50th Birthday party instead , maybe on a weekend in Derbyshire!
I will start looking into some possible venues.
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
LAWSONSMOKE

Post by LAWSONSMOKE »

Derbyshire sounds a very good place for a National and we are definitely up for it. It seems sensible that people who do not attend IMM's have an alternative venue for the Moke 50th so everyone who wants can celebrate it doing what they enjoy most whether it be a large Mini Meet or scenic drives with other Mokers. We have never been given a a copy of the club rules but surely this gives all members a choice. Tony & Eddie
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

I've never seem the club rules, surely they should be available to club members on this site?
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Pig Pen Love Machine

Chris

The club rules are a very closely guarded secret

they were not issued to me when i re joined
none of the Committee including both the Chairman and Secretary had a copy at the 2012 AGM when challenged
they are not available on this club website
that begs the question as to whether they exist, who holds the keys to them and whether members are actually bound by them if they havent seen them

PPLM
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

I like the idea of a Moke dedicated 50th 'National' and the Peaks is as good a place as you could want for that - IMM or no IMM

Another idea - just for the 'Birthday' day ... how about a drive from Longbridge to Gaydon. I am sure BMIHT would be delighted.....
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ
PJ

Post by PJ »

From what I remember of the rules there is something about the Club promoting Moking (which I assume means holding events like 'Nationals') but there is nothing to say 'Thou shalt not hold a National in a U.K IMM year'.

Why on earth are we making the IMM the main focus of the 50th anniversary celebrations? Do we really have to ride on the back of some other organization because we cannot organize our own event? Most Mini owners at the IMM know perfectly well what a Moke is, don't want one, and often regard Moke owners as a bunch of Prima Donnas. When MOKE-50 was going to be an exposition of the Moke I thought, and argued in committee, that the IMM was the wrong venue (should have been Silverstone Classic, Goodwood and/or NEC - at least they are covered by the broader Classic Car press). Now that MOKE-50 appears to have been downgraded to just 'a bit of a party' it is even more inappropriate. I believe one of the reasons for not having a National and a home IMM in the same year is cost for members - so why drop the National (this year's cost me £21 for 3 nights camping) in favour of the IMM at £70? I have done all continental IMMs since 2008, and do them for the road-trip there and back: good company, good food & drink, good driving with a bit of culture/education/sight-seeing thrown in - time on site is just a halfway stop. I can think of much better things to do with a summer weekend than to drive the M4 and M25 for a weekend in Kent!

It would seem that the following suggestions are on the table for celebrating the 50th anniversary:
(a) A 'National' in Derbyshire
(b) An IMMM within 1 hard days drive or 2 easy days of Calais
(c) A 'Celebration Cruise' from the site of the Castle Bromwich body plant, to (site of) Longbridge assembly plant and on to any other Moke-related venues (credit to Janz for this idea, I believe)
(d) For serious drivers, a trip to the Nord Cap (North Cape - top of Norway, aka 'Land of the midnight sun') - I can see the headlines now: The sun never sets on the Mini Moke

If the committee do not want to support or get involved with these ideas, or if they believe them to be in breach of the rules, there is no reason why we should not organize these things amonst ourselves as a group of Moke enthusiasts.
You don't give up Moking when you get old ...... you get old when you give up Moking!
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

It has been suggested to me that my reply to this topic was "not becoming of a senior officer of the Club" and I agree with that so have deleted my reply.
Dean

Return to “Moke Club National 2013 - August 2nd-4th”