67 Morris Moke

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
peterbradbury

Re: 67 Morris Moke

Post by peterbradbury »

IMG_20210330_202321.jpg
At last! Took some patience but it's out. I don't trust these Minispares studs, so think I'll be ordering a full set of higher quality ones before putting back together.

Chris, I'm going composite this time, my gut feeling is these are better now. How have you got on with yours?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
67 Morris Moke
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Glad you got the broken stud out. Looked at head gaskets, and some of the really high quality ones are up to £170.00 each.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Peter,
Great that you managed to get the stud out, where will you get the higher quality ones from?
Not good news with mine, after removing the head it was obvious that oil has got passed the gasket and into the cylinders.
20210320_131705.jpg
Evidence of the oil was also under the gasket.
20210320_131824.jpg
Big problem though was the damage to No.4 piston, looks like something metallic has got in there and damaged the surface of the piston and part of it is still embedded on the side.
20210321_140709.jpg
20210321_140753.jpg
The bore is however, unmarked? I did a compression test before removing the head and got good readings on all cylinders.
20210321_140845.jpg
So what to do now? Clean up the piston and try it, I've no idea how long the damage has been there, it wasn't there last year when I last replaced the gasket. Or is it engine out again and rebore etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

Wow thats done some damage to that piston! If the bore's are ok, you should be ok though?

I've decided I'm not replacing the studs, the cost of the higher quality ones is just too much to justify currently. I've got the head back on today and tightened down, no studs snapped thank god. So jobs as they stand currently -

Finish rebuilding carb
Replace bottom hose, current one isn't great fitting (think its a 1275 one)
Replace tappet cover gaskets
67 Morris Moke
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

The bore has some uneven wear and i cannot get access to the piston to clean it up without taking it out. Bore damage may be due to some problem with further down. So engine is coming out again, and a replacement is being built!
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Wee Moke is away now and about to have the engine taken out. Replacement engine is ready to transfer all the bits from mine, and then will be going in. Be very nice to have her back and on the road, it seems a long long time since I was last out in it, and I'm missing all this lovely Moking weather!!!!!
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

Wally2 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 16:12 Wee Moke is away now and about to have the engine taken out. Replacement engine is ready to transfer all the bits from mine, and then will be going in. Be very nice to have her back and on the road, it seems a long long time since I was last out in it, and I'm missing all this lovely Moking weather!!!!!
I know how you feel! Having sorted the head stud, I decided the thermostat studs were looking far past their best so swapping them would be a good idea. 2 came out no problem, 3rd one snapped, drilled into it and then the extractor also snapped in it! The Moke has now been sat in the corner for over 2 months untouched.
67 Morris Moke
Tim

Post by Tim »

Time to find someone with a spark erosion machine aka 'tap-burner'. Supposedly they will burn out both the broken extractor and the seized stud, without damaging the thread.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Peter, how is your Moke? Did you make it to the National?
Wee Moke is back, with a shinny 'new' engine. I didn't make it to the National as I am going on short gentle runs to get some miles on it. Did have some problems with leaky core plugs and a rattling gear lever, but all sorted now. Having said that I still have a small oil leak coming from the speedo drive on the gearbox, you know the one you cannot get at with the engine in the car!
We are also moving house early August so that is keeping me very busy, we will be off to East Yorkshire and a larger garage!
Will you get to the Welsh Weekend? I will try if I can find somewhere to stay (unless I can find the tent after we move!
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

Good to hear you are up & running again! Mine is still in the corner of the shed in bits, not looking like any events this year currently. The head is away for repairs currently, so hopefully once its back things will get moving again.
67 Morris Moke
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

And we are running again!
IMG_20210812_165836.jpg
3 short drives out just trying to get the mixture somewhere near correct, still at a little lean but certainly close! Also had a change of gauges, swapping oil temp for water temp & volts for vacuum.
IMG_20210812_165357.jpg
Just a shame it's too late get to the time off work for the Welsh weekend.
67 Morris Moke
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Peter,
I see you managed to get the broken stud out, what did you replace it with? I've had the same stud break on my 'new' engine! Up on the Teeside Treat I had a problem with water being forced out of the overflow on the rad. I thought it was perhaps the rad cap itself failing but now I'm wondering if there is a slight leak between number 4 cylinder and a waterway. I've done a compression test and all seems fine and the engine ran great while we were away, so not quite sure what's going on. I'm also booked on the National in a couple of weeks so not quite sure what to do about it!
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Peter,
Managed the strip down ok and the remaining bit of the stud came out using a pin drift.
Just need the new bits now then I can get it all back together.
20220701_191131.jpg
20220701_191121.jpg
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

Good news you got it out! Certainly seem to have had an easier time than I did last time it snapped one! I really should update this thread a bit....
67 Morris Moke
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

The Moke has taken a bit of a back seat recently -
IMG_20220218_122520.jpg
My Mk1 needs some attention so had to be stripped before going away for significant bodywork!
IMG_20220518_212702.jpg
Most time has been spent getting the Pick-Up an MOT for the first time in a good few years! I've actually lost track of the parts it needed!
IMG_20220603_173230.jpg
Finally the Moke! I've finally swapped over to electronic ignition on it, before the change I checked the timing for the first time since I've had it... whoops! Should have done that a while ago as it was a fair way out. With the electronic ignition & timing adjusted it starts and runs so much better, finally hills are no longer an issue. Its also acquired a spot light as I picked one up very cheaply, it doesn't quite look right with one on so I'm now on the look out for a matching one.

No events for me so far this year, I will be trying to make Wales though.
67 Morris Moke

Return to “Project "M"”