New Moke Owner 1965 UK Little Wheeler in Oregon

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
clm

Re: New Moke Owner 1965 UK Little Wheeler in Oregon

Post by clm »

I have been wiring lately, taking the original wiring harness and the late harness and merging them together. Lots of work and not alot of time for pictures.

Here is the harness before binding it,

And after binding it.

And the fuseboxes, the two fuse one is for normal use the 4 fuse box is for the relays. It has a relay for main beam and for dip beam, a relay for normal running lights, a relay for accessories, and a 4 relay block for tail lights... as for those tail lights, here is a little video.

BTW yes I know the brake light on the upper right light was not working in this video, this has been fixed :)

Chris
1965 Austin Moke - Rust was not free, I paid dearly for it
1961 Morris Traveller - Bent but repairable
1960 Morris saloon.. err wagon.. err Pickup, yeah that's it! - My first car
1980 Mini 95 Van shell - pickup load floor donor
MiniCord

Post by MiniCord »

Nice progress you have done there.

Originally, The lights in the back on the Moke, the bottom ones are the position lights and stoplights, the top one is only supposed to be the turn signal.
clm

Post by clm »

Yes, but I decided to merge them together using all twin filament lamps instead of the singles. This lets me have basically twice the tail lights without any actual extra tail lights... Plus this lets me use all red tail lenses :) This is one of the many basic mods I am doing to it to personalize it. The whole 4 relay tail light converter was done to allow this modification, I had to merge the brake lights and turn signals so I could use the same lamp for both functions. All 4 lit for tail lights, all 4 brighter for brake lights and both on the respective side flash for turn signals even when the brake lights are lit. And to make it more fun (confusing) I even wired in a vintage Signalstat emergency flasher switch for 4 way flashers and switched up the oil filter clocgged and oil pressure low warning lights in the speedometer to be my turn signal indicator lights! lol

Chris

P.s. using a spin on filter head so the oil filter clogged lamp is meaningless and putting in an actual gauge for oil pressure and likely a warning buzzer so don't need the light allowing those vacated spaces for my turn signals.
clm

Post by clm »

Well after wiring I said heck with it and slapped the front subby in even though I still need to band the cv boots.. and had the satisfaction of having the moke back on 4 wheels finally :)

And did the next sensible thing, tossed a few parts on for good measure.

Everything is working so far except for engine wiring and it's not in yet and front calipers which are not on yet. One thing I wanted to toss out there is this... when I picked up this moke it had this small Desmo light mounted on top of the speedo pod for an interior light, I have decided to keep it seeing as it has a fair amount of history with this moke. Unfortunately it has lost it's lense/diffuser somewhere and I would love to find another one to put back in, any help on that would be appreciated as I can't for the life of me find anything online. Here are a couple pics of it.

I ran oil pressure tests on the remaining assembled mini engines I had with disheartening results. The original moke engine only pumped up to maybe 40 psi cold on the starter, however it did this almost immediately. And the 850 that came out of my original mini would not pull oil pressure no matter how much I primed it. So engines came apart so I could swap out the really low final drive to the higher 3.7 final drive transmission from my original 850. For right now it's going to be a straight transmission swap.

The 1100 engine I have seems to be a strange beast in it's own right. As I received it in the wrecked wagon it had the 3 sync remote box with 4.27 final drive, big bore smog port head, dual 1 1/4 su carbs. And then when I pulled it from it's box tonight? I found more interesting stuff; a brand new clutch disk with a double spring coil spring clutch... 12 total stacked like double valve springs,

and when I get it pulled completely off I am greeted with what appears to be a balanced/modified crank and rod set, what looks like a new cam, decent looking cross hatch marks in the cylinders, and a squeak that was determined to be piston rings as the engine was rotated by hand. A squeak that sounds like a squeaky rubber seal.

I'm thinking it is not fully run in yet, but that it is my best bet for an engine for the moke for now, hopefully it will have no problems with the 500 mile trip I plan to take in June.

Until next time!
fistral fig

Post by fistral fig »

Leaps and Bounds Chris ......................FF
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

It'll be a steady old trip if you're running it in on the trip :)
Come on summer
clm

Post by clm »

Slow and steady gets to Bend Oregon!

I am gathering my pile of things to sacrifice to the british car gods so the moke doesn't break... (much)

Electrical issues are generally not a problem... mechanical may be.

Chris
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Do you have the equivalent of the RAC or AA over there ?
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:Do you have the equivalent of the RAC or AA over there ?

Why? Thinking of talking yours over there for a spin? :shock:

They have the American Automobile Association.

http://www.aaa.com/PPInternational/Inte ... google.com
Having a moking good time!
clm

Post by clm »

I have gotten my tires ordered and I am waiting for a clutch seal to allow me to finish assembling the 1100, I have however got some more jobs taken care of. Speaking of the 1100 I had a chance to glance in it's intake ports, they are nice and cleaned up :)

As for the jobs, I got my front shocks mounted, I have no idea what brand they are, they are some kind of adjustable ones and they seem rather long.. at least the back ones do. A friend said they might be spax "penny adjust" shocks.. but *shrug*

Oh and while I was in there.. I discovered a rather horrible issue. Apparently standard 3 1/2 inch wheels don't fit correctly with 'S' brakes! GAH! And I find this out AFTER I have tires ordered. Upon investigation they are hitting these lumps, you can just see the shiny spot.

So I have been forced to buy some thin spacers and get a little creative with the flap disk until I had no more interference. Now this might make some of you scream out in horror, but it will work out all right. Even modified slightly for clearance they are still by far better then rivet wheels! =)

Another couple of projects I have been able to check off is rear bumper and pannier side plate mountings. Yeah yeah bolting them on and clearancing the wheels are somewhat bodgerific but it's just so I can get it on the road now and still get in there and clean up the side boxes later. The pannier sides will eventually be fully welded on!

Along with that I found some creative ways to bend more curve into the bonnet and have been able to get it where I can latch the hooks now... yay!

And the last bit for today.. another sort-of mod. Sort-of seeing as it actually doesn't mod the moke any and easily lets me move the seat back for a bit more adjustability. After thinking about it a bit I decided to use a couple pieces of angle iron a little over 13 inches long. I used angle iron as the 90 degree return strengthens the thin strip on the bottom which allows the strip to be thin so the seat is not raised by hardly any height compared to the passenger seat. It turned out quite well in the end, although I realized too late that I only needed 4-6 countersunk holes and not all of them countersunk :)

Driver seat set up in the rearmost adjustment point with both seats adjusted all the way back, rear passenger seat also all the way back.

Still at the rearmost adjustment point, but with the driver(LH) seat slid all the way forward, others are still slid back.

It works rather well and gives a ton of adjustability if I do say so myself :)

Here is one last view of it.. from the other side.

And with that I will call it a night... Tomorrow I plan to take my 5 bare rims up to be blasted and powder coated and likely pick up some steel for a spare tire mount, but that is later. :)

Chris
clm

Post by clm »

Well as I stated before, I took my 5 wheels in to the powder coater, and I picked up some steel for the spare tire mount... which I think I promptly overbuilt :) As I have plans to put larger wheels and tires on the moke I wanted to make the tire mount switchable in case it needs to be raised up later. AND I ran into the issue that my back panel was somewhat bent.. (Bent!? Never!) and would not allow the spare mount to sit flat so I added a bar between the mount and the bumper. Adding the bar gave me a shelf that I found fit a small scissor jack perfectly. :)

I also broke down and fixed the old number plate light holder from the old tinny wagon I had years ago, and once repaired mounted and wired in my licence plate light, hopefully my plate holder will show up from California eventually so that it can be bolted on as well.

The 1100 engine is more or less back together, I just need to torque down the clutch bolt and bolt the wok on. I should have engine mounts to mount the engine Monday. While going through my clutch parts I singled out the best friction plate I had.. which oddly seems to be a built up plate as opposed to the one piece that my other ones were built up on... odd.

I dug up an interesting netting stretch bag that seemed to be made to fit in the back of a Moke :)

The windscreen was interesting to fit into the frame, interestingly enough it still had a registration sticker on it from New York 1979.

Oh and.. a couple donuts ready for the their creamy center :) Vredestein Sprint Classic 145/80sr10. They should work for now.

Mokingly,
Chris
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

:? Are you sure that clutch plate will work ? It doesn't seem to have its coating of oil :?
Come on summer
clm

Post by clm »

It goes in a self oiling British engine, give it time :D

Chris
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

Chris,
Out of curiousity, where did you source those Vredestein Sprint Classic tires? (or tyres for those speaking English with an accent) :roll:
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.
clm

Post by clm »

http://www.tires-easy.com/

They have these or for $10 more you can get black wall ones... which I thought was a bit silly seeing as they both seem to be black wall tires...

SPRINT CLASSIC 145/80R10 68S $70.30/tire
SPRINT CLASSIC 145R10 68S BSW $81.70/tire

You got me what the difference is... but they ship from California, I got them in a couple of days.

If you get 4 tires shipping for me was less then $10 a tire... although I got 5 tires as I needed a spare making it about $13 a tire shipping. Granted it will likely be more for shipping as you are a couple more states away :)

Chris

Return to “Project "M"”