New Moke Owner 1965 UK Little Wheeler in Oregon

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
clm

New Moke Owner 1965 UK Little Wheeler in Oregon

Post by clm »

New moke owner here in Oregon USA... or moke shaped rust pile owner... I recently got home after driving to southern California to buy it from someone who themselves had purchased it from Flushing New York. I paid about 3000usd for it which I thought was a great deal knowing the prices they go for in the US. I also knew it was going to be extremely rusty, but rust can be repaired. The Moke itself was very complete in the parts it came with, and in addition I was able to get a complete floor pan for it for an additional $750. I am excited to get to work on it, however I need to get rid of a volkswagon carcass before I can do anything with it. Not to mention I also need to put together an excessive order from m-parts in the UK for body panels.

I would like to acquire an Aus rear panel and rear arms so I can run larger wheels on it to make tire replacement while traveling easier in the US, but that is later, First I need to find at least 1 winshield wiper setup as what came with the moke was dead.

More Pictures at

http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/clm1977/Moke/

Chris
Last edited by clm on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Austin Moke - Rust was not free, I paid dearly for it
1961 Morris Traveller - Bent but repairable
1960 Morris saloon.. err wagon.. err Pickup, yeah that's it! - My first car
1980 Mini 95 Van shell - pickup load floor donor
janz
MMC Member

Re: New Moke Owner 1967 UK Little Wheeler in Oregon

Post by janz »

Hi Chris, and welcome to the forum. Was going to say.... New Moke? Looks more like Old Moke :lol: but I'm sure you know what you have and it looks very cool :D It looks pretty complete and a lot of the hard to find stuff is there. Looking at the pictures, I hazard a guess it's a 65 or 66 Mk1 English. Looks like the speedo is Mk1 Mini pre 64 (cream colour) though.
clm wrote:I would like to acquire an Aus rear panel and rear arms so I can run larger wheels on it to make tire replacement while traveling easier in the US, but that is later, First I need to find at least 1 winshield wiper setup as what came with the moke was dead.
Are 10" tyres that hard to find in US? I would speak with some of the other US English Moke owners like Robin Jones. It's only a personal view, but it would be a shame to turn a Mk1 into a half/half Aussie Big wheeler - (sorry Aussie Moke owners - but 'sit on' is for the hardened... 'sit in'? well....... :wink: ) and the longer radius arms are very hard to find - like rocking horse manure as we say :shock: Anyway, I think the little wheels on an English is what gives it the quirky character.

The windscreen wiper, if your Moke is indeed a Mk1 would be a Lucas FW2. Also hard to find, but the same as series 1 and 2 Land Rover. They can be refurbished. There are later variants like the TMC one that might work for a temporary fix.

Anyway, don't forget the Moke club for spares and panels too. The spares guy is Mark Peacock.

Good luck with the restoration - I think we would all like updates and pictures of progress, Cheers.... JanZ
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Another welcome to the forum Chris. Don,t forget that even if you leave it as it is you can still fit 12" wheels on it , you can run 13s too so long as they are low profile ones (like late minis used)
As to the wiper motor, you'll probably have more success if you type "series 2 wiper"into eBay UK
Come on summer
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Oh!! And by the way 13s mean the paint on your inner wings will disappear at a high rate unless you also invest in a sports pack type steering rack
Come on summer
clm

Post by clm »

The speedo is a gold faced morris Minor part or so I was told, It's definitely not cream faced or silver faced, I have one of each of those as well. I am pretty sure it is a 67, AAB1L916310 is it's vin number. And Yeah, 10 inch tires unless purchased mail order and mailed from a mini dealer or overseas is almost unobtainium. While I have no issues keeping the tires to run around my local area, If I am going to drive it cross country I would like something that I could easily find a replacement anywhere in the us if I have an issue... It would save possible days of emergency motel room costs :)

Good information about the windshield wiper motor! I will add that to my searches!
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

Sounds like you have some other small cars (Minis) that aren't as much fun as a Moke. :mrgreen:
You probably already have some ten inch wheels & tires. I would just carry an "extra" spare instead of hacking up a perfectly fine, although rusty, early Moke.... That, and finding those trailing arms is gonna be tough.
Now, if you feel like making some cash (and loosing some of the Moke) I know some folks looking for the hood bows and English seats. (you could always make up a one piece cushion for the rear to use as an occasional seat)
PM or minimoke1968 "at" hotmail dot com

Edit: The seller wouldn't have been Mike Spangler ??? Spank to most Mini owners.....
If so, I'm surprised he let it go. He has a habit of turning odd vehicles into Lemons race cars.
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

clm wrote:The speedo is a gold faced morris Minor part or so I was told, It's definitely not cream faced or silver faced, I have one of each of those as well.
Colours can be deceiving in pictures - I only have two black ones....... in my Mokes :wink:
clm wrote: I am pretty sure it is a 67, AAB1L916310 is it's vin number.
Quite possible Chris, Mk2s came about later in October 67 - with one wiper, yours should be from before then
clm wrote:And Yeah, 10 inch tires unless purchased mail order and mailed from a mini dealer or overseas is almost unobtainium. While I have no issues keeping the tires to run around my local area, If I am going to drive it cross country I would like something that I could easily find a replacement anywhere in the us if I have an issue... It would save possible days of emergency motel room costs :)
I run 175/50R13 on one of my Mokes - I have sport pack rack on it, but I believe you can use a bush to limit the steering rack travel. The low profiles can be a very harsh ride. The 12* option is probably more comfortable on longer runs.
clm wrote:Good information about the windshield wiper motor! I will add that to my searches!
If you're willing to travel to Germany, I found this drool worthy picture on an LR forum...... :lol:
http://up.picr.de/4911807.jpg
JanZ
clm

Post by clm »

Plenty of 10 inch wheels, but tires are somewhat in short supply untill I buy some.

And Yup this is the other Spank moke, the windshield frame and top bows actually came from his lemons racer, but he let me swap out so I had the better ones as I am putting it back on the street instead of racing it.

Plans are always subject to change as per wheel size, but I already have a line on the aus trailing arms I would just need to pay shipping costs.

I have plenty of minis, mk4 van, mk1 saloon I am trying to get rid of, mk1 internal tank woody, mk4 saloon that is going to donate it's floor and firewall to the van, and another mk1 saloon I am building a complete custom body shell for turning it into a pickup utilising parts of a rotten mk2 wagon mk1 saloon and tons of new repro pickup panels. That Pup will make repairing the moke seem like an easy task... I was given a ride in a 1275 purple moke about 15 years ago in Portland, and I loved it. I have wanted a Moke ever since.

Even if I put new seats in the Moke and do modifications to it I plan on everything being able to be reversed so I will be retaining all the original hard to find parts for possible future use ;) It's better that I have them then not.

Chris
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

"...I was given a ride in a 1275 purple moke about 15 years ago in Portland, and I loved it. I have wanted a Moke ever since..."

That first ride in a Moke kinda sticks with you don't it? :mrgreen:
clm

Post by clm »

Watching that windshield sway almost 6 inches as we roared down the road at 70ish... yeah it stuck with me. I was not allowed to drive it though, I will get to drive a moke yet.....

Chris
Nicholasupton

Post by Nicholasupton »

CLM yours look better than the moke I have to work on.

Shoot me an email if you need help sourcing panels, I may also be able to fab some for you as well to save you the cost of shipping things from the UK.

PS I am looking for the rear number plate holder to copy if you want to trade your bent one for a new one.
fistral fig

Post by fistral fig »

Great challening project, but I wonder how on earth did you get it on that trailer?? FF
clm

Post by clm »

fistral fig wrote:Great challening project, but I wonder how on earth did you get it on that trailer?? FF

Ramps...

The rear tire was being changed in this picture as the one on it was on backwards so not lining up with the trailer. However, If I had a come-along or winch, this is a tilt deck trailer.

Chris
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

Nicholasupton wrote:PS I am looking for the rear number plate holder to copy if you want to trade your bent one for a new one.
Cool! As you know, I want two of them... and the light holder :D
JanZ
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

clm wrote:
fistral fig wrote:Great challening project, but I wonder how on earth did you get it on that trailer?? FF

Ramps...
The rear tire was being changed in this picture as the one on it was on backwards so not lining up with the trailer. However, If I had a come-along or winch, this is a tilt deck trailer.

Chris
Why didn't you just fire her up??? Looks like a shot or thirty of ether & a jumper battery and you could've driven it home. :mrgreen:
Again, let me know if I can be of any help. (although I am halfway across the country)

Return to “Project "M"”