New Moke Owner 1965 UK Little Wheeler in Oregon

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
janz
MMC Member

Re: New Moke Owner 1965 UK Little Wheeler in Oregon

Post by janz »

Prime the pump.... just figurative really - I meant the "bup, bup, bup.... bup.... from the fuel pump :D As soon as engine is turning over I get oil pressure.

Now, not being rude....but you don't look like a little guy - and before you take umbrage.... neither am I (all of 280 + of your finest US lbs) :lol: I can get over 55 Mph out of mine - admitedly when there's 2 of us and were going uphill, I do sometimes worry about not having synchro to change down into 1st :shock: but on the whole, mine seems quite happy sitting at 60 - the gearing (original) is quite long though, so it doesn't feel like it's being punished. Starting - hot or cold... no problems. Only issue is I can't find the correct pressure rated long neck rad cap for what I believe to be the original radiator 8)
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

My Mini Moke seems to be happiest at +/- 40mph* in 4th gear with accelerator 1/16 to 1/8 depressed, . . . on a levelish road.

There are a lot less rattles etc and the engine hums along quite nicely..

* Mind you I have larger tires so it is probably going a few % faster than that.
Last edited by Doug G on Tue Aug 06, 2013 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
Having a moking good time!
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

On my 850cc little wheel proper English Moke, the "sweet spot" is about 50-55mph indicated... The speedometer is a bit optimistic though. :roll: Probably closer to 45-50mph actual.
I have had her up to an indicated 75mph. :o The shaking from the windscreen at that speed tends to make your right foot lighter.... :roll:
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

On my 850cc little wheel proper English, I prefer keeping it around the 50 mark (46 ish on the SatNav), any faster and the wind is just too much! Mind you at this speed on dual carriageways getting past by 4 x 4's towing caravans and large lorries does make one vere off at the next exit!
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
clm

Post by clm »

I agree, this little 850 seems to like around the 45 mark, but due to american drivers I have to maintain 55+ or have some lage truck up my tail pipe, even then they all seem to want to go 65+ on the 55mph roads. *shrug* At least they can't complain when I do the speed limit.

Chris
1965 Austin Moke - Rust was not free, I paid dearly for it
1961 Morris Traveller - Bent but repairable
1960 Morris saloon.. err wagon.. err Pickup, yeah that's it! - My first car
1980 Mini 95 Van shell - pickup load floor donor
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

Chris,
Believe me, they will complain anyhow.
On more than one occasion, I've turned out of my drive and accelerated to 50mph in a 40mph zone... Only finding someone passing me up and crossing a double yellow line to boot. :shock: :roll:
You can almost imagine the little gears winding around in their head.... "Well, this little golf cart shouldn't be on the road so I'll just pass it up...."
Where's a copper when you need one??
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Surely the answer would be to keep to the back roads... After all, you can do 50 regardless of the bends, then it'll be you glued to their exhaust pipe as their barges dither round the next curve :D
Come on summer
clm

Post by clm »

I tried... but there is no way to get from point a to the club meeting on backroads due to the rivers and streams :p

It is pretty much 55 unless I don't want to leave town... Sometimes I wish I lived in a bigger town :)

Chris
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

Between 40 and 50 is nicest for all the reasons stated above.... 60 Mph is 'only to get there' and is quite a battle at times - mine will happily do it though, but it's not 'Mokin at its finest' agreed. The windscreen buffeting is an interesting subject though. I have Aussie style side screens on FUD Moke and the screen feels like it's about to be ripped off at above 50.... also when it rains, the turbulence drags more rain onto the inside of the screen that outside :roll: My 64 Moke is as standard and basic as it gets, the screen is affected a lot less and no rain on inside of screen unless stationary in horizontal rain of course :lol:
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Just been out for a spin on the local dual carriageway and tried to get Wee Moke up to 60 ish, it did manage it but I wouldnt like to do it for long! Must remember that anything inside the Moke needs to be bolted or at least strapped down or it will be away with the wind. I actually got to 65 on the clock which I assume is nearer 60 actual and it was down hill and I was still passed by lorries and caravans!
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
clm

Post by clm »

Nice going! Nothing is happening here as I am waiting for engine bearings... I dug out the old rc car collection though lol

Chris
mokegrl

Post by mokegrl »

Hey Chris- I am beyond delighted to see what you've done with the dear wee little beast!! I've had the great pleasure of decorating and driving the Spank-Moke in a few different Lemons Races, over the years. I had mixed feelings about some of the hacking we did on it. Looks like you are the perfect next owner, and Winning the James Bondo award should be just the beginning! Congrats on your aquisition.

Sandia
clm

Post by clm »

This moke is not the Lemons moke... it was worse :)

Chris
pbraun

Post by pbraun »

So, Chris, What is going on with your Moke? Looks like last post was 3 years ago??????
peter
1965 Mini Moke, English built, on the road again!

Return to “Project "M"”