1968 english resto

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
zetecmk2

1968 english resto

Post by zetecmk2 »

hello people in my computer. me and my mate sean run a small resto company and we have started to put a moke back on the road. it sat in a garage for 20 odd years until the owner had to get rid of it. his nephew aquired it and wants us to get it on the road.
as with all builds, this is limited by budget and the owner can't justify a full referb at the moment, but wants us to do a "simpathetic" resto without hindering a full resto at a later date!!
this is how it turned up
we dragged it in last week, seized brakes freed off after towing it round the yard a few times, at least it rolled!!
let the strip begin.....just to see what can be saved and needs replacing :shock:
even with lashings of penetrating oil, i spent the best part of the weekend snapping bolts....those that didn't snap is because the captive nuts were no longer, well, "captive"!!
lots of grinding heads off then :(

the rot (oh yes...there is some!) seems to be localised in certain areas.....a bit on every panel, but no panel totally shot. all the rust seems to be in the seams....of which there is a lot!! :shock:
zetecmk2

Re: 1968 english resto

Post by zetecmk2 »

more pics
:mrgreen:
zetecmk2

Post by zetecmk2 »

bloody hell.....they do love a spot weld!!!
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Oh yes, there's plenty of spot welds on them....and they're pretty much all visible
Come on summer
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

Just curious. Is the Austin badge on the front a sticker or a riveted on rocker cover badge?
If it's a sticker, see if there's still two holes in the panel for the rivets.
I can see that your Moke has signs of being a MK2 with the two windscreen wipers and the dip switch/horn button moved to the turn signal stalk. Any idea of the build date?
Oh, and you're a braver man than I..... Keep posting up pictures as you make progress.
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.
zetecmk2

Post by zetecmk2 »

Robin Jones wrote:Just curious. Is the Austin badge on the front a sticker or a riveted on rocker cover badge?
If it's a sticker, see if there's still two holes in the panel for the rivets.
I can see that your Moke has signs of being a MK2 with the two windscreen wipers and the dip switch/horn button moved to the turn signal stalk. Any idea of the build date?
Oh, and you're a braver man than I..... Keep posting up pictures as you make progress.
cheers, the moke badge is a sticker....no holes under it!
right.....back to work :shock:
zetecmk2

Post by zetecmk2 »

actually there is 2 rivet holes under the sticker :D
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

Me? Even though it's not "correct", I think the riveted on badge looks better than the sticker. Repro's are available from all the usual Mini suppliers....
But, I suppose, the more important question would be; "Is there any metal left between the rivet holes???"
Make sure your tetanus booster is up to date.
And, again, keep us posted on the progress.
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I don't think the ones sold as rocker cover badges are the same size/type as the origional
Come on summer
zetecmk2

Post by zetecmk2 »

still cutting :shock:

been waiting for runamoke to get back to me with with prices, i feel like i am hastling them, but they are always going to do it "tomorrow"
i would also like to see what i am going to buy, but a few companies have emailed me exploded drawings. i really need to see the actual panels! i can't cut anymore of the rust out until i get the repair sections.
have any of you got any photo's of repair panels, or restoration of your moke that show the panels, and info as to what company supplied them?, thanks, glen
clm

Post by clm »

My panels came from M-Parts and Leo Jack, I could never get Runamoke to answer my emails. You can see the panels I have gotten from M-Parts in my thread.

Chris
1965 Austin Moke - Rust was not free, I paid dearly for it
1961 Morris Traveller - Bent but repairable
1960 Morris saloon.. err wagon.. err Pickup, yeah that's it! - My first car
1980 Mini 95 Van shell - pickup load floor donor
zetecmk2

Post by zetecmk2 »

cheers chris, i just read your whole thread :shock:
luckily, this moke is way more solid than yours :D runamoke just phoned me while i was reading your thread, they will email me some pics of thier panels so i can compare! thier outer floor sections have the ribs....which is what our customer wants.
i will check out leo's panels too :?
fistral fig

Post by fistral fig »

Chris, if you have visited Ron you will understand why things take so long, but Ron and Steve are the best, but not quickly unfortunatley, there is not much that Ron doesnt know regarding Mokes though, its worth the wait I found...........FF
bigmax

Post by bigmax »

Hi Glen,i'm here! Woo Hoo!! I noticed there's no beer drinking icon in the smilies over there >>>can we get that sorted or what?
zetecmk2

Post by zetecmk2 »

admin need to sort the beer drinking smilie!! :shock:
in case you're wondering....big max is my work partner, sean. he will be cutting and welding moke by day. and drinking beer and chatting on the forum by night!! :D

Return to “Project "M"”