mokes and miis

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
sigmacon

mokes and miis

Post by sigmacon »

Hi all, I am currently in the process of restoring two (yes two) 1966 English Mokes. One was a true Barn Find almost zero rust and the other had been a seaside runabout and had all the rust you could imagine!! Both are coming along nicely and should be done around years end.
The beach one was featured in Mini Mag in 2001 ( I think ) It has a legit Cooper engine with some additional mods. This one spent a little time under the Atlantic during hurricane Sandy, but the then owner had the presence of mind to trailer it to his local garage and his mechanic drained all the water he could from every where he could and saved it.
My other ones are a 1962 cooper (surf Blue being restored) a late MPI, 1975 mini with a Suzuki twin cam and 5speed (personal favorite) a 67 MK1 complete but needing restoration (next up) and a few shells for bits. If I can figure out how to post pics. I will.
I live in Doylestown Pa Usa. (Ex Brit)
Cheers
Les
fistral fig

Re: mokes and miis

Post by fistral fig »

Hi and welcome, will wait to see those pictures??........FF
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I second that, welcome indeed.
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Welcome to the forum.

I too, look forward to seeing the pics.

Please include some before and during as well.

Hope you got the mini mokes for a good price.
Having a moking good time!
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

Sigmacon,
Welcome to the message bored. Sounds like you have a carpload of Minis 'n Mokes. How long have you been stateside? And, why don't I know you. I'm located near Cleveland. PM on the way to you.
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Robin Jones wrote:Sigmacon,
Welcome to the message bored. Sounds like you have a carpload of Minis 'n Mokes. How long have you been stateside? And, why don't I know you. I'm located near Cleveland. PM on the way to you.
Do you really mean 'bored' as in 'boring' possibly with pun intended. Surely not. :lol:
Having a moking good time!
sigmacon

Post by sigmacon »

Hi all and thank you for the warm welcome! I have posted a few pics in the 2013 albums under "my toys" and will post more as I go along. Both Mokes are progressing well albeit slowly! The white one has taken a lot of tome because of the seaside rust, but will be a beauty when done.
The yellow one has a 1275 installed and a cagiva type cage that was my first experience with bending . I like it and it will provide a great support for the top.
The white has a 998 legitimate Cooper s engine with tweaks ( I'm told it went like a bat of of hell!) It had a very strange roll bar taken out of a Jeep complete with a Bimini style top (it will not be going back on) and a load of meet badges all over the place.

I will post some more of the Mokes and my other Minis as I go along
Cheers
Les
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Les, Again welcome to the group.
Looking at your pics, whose is the green one with the very clean engine bay?
Good luck with the restos
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi again Les,
Just a thought, my Moke was built in Nov. 65 as a LHD and exported to Phladelphia in Jan 66. It spent the next 40 years in and around San Diego.
Chassis number is AAB1L817813
Engine number is 8AC U H3135
Body number is AB000566L (although the Heritage Trust says its 2769)
Are these numbers any where near either of yours?
clm (Chris) moke is pretty close to mine i.e. AAB1L816310 - 8AC-U-H3100
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
sigmacon

Post by sigmacon »

Wally. " the white one" Heritage Cert says this
car/chassis. A-AB1-L/834876
Engine Number 8 AC- FA-U--H/112
Body Number. 3252

I hope this is interesting and if you can tell me more , it would be appreciated.
Les
clm

Post by clm »

That 2769 BMH gives you should have been on the commission number tag, the AB number is not recorded by the factory :)

Here is a pic showing the commission number tag (what BMH calles the body number on the moke) quite a ways below the AB number plate which is spotwelded to the body. Oddly they are both mounted upside down.

I imagine the commission number whas used by BMC to account for the overall cars and the AB number was used by the factory that pre-assembled the body panels just to account for the bodys supplied to BMC. That is just speculation though :)

Chris
1965 Austin Moke - Rust was not free, I paid dearly for it
1961 Morris Traveller - Bent but repairable
1960 Morris saloon.. err wagon.. err Pickup, yeah that's it! - My first car
1980 Mini 95 Van shell - pickup load floor donor
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

sigmacon wrote:Wally. " the white one" Heritage Cert says this
car/chassis. A-AB1-L/834876
Engine Number 8 AC- FA-U--H/112
Body Number. 3252

I hope this is interesting and if you can tell me more , it would be appreciated.
Les
Hi Les,
Well your white one is not that far from mine re chassis number. Mine is missing the body number plate so I only have the welded on plate with the ABB no. on it.
More info re my Moke in the US is in post 'My Mokes history in the US' on page 3 of the 'Moke Talk' section.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
sigmacon

Post by sigmacon »

I will check the other plates and let you know. The pic of the green engine bay is one off the net which I saved as it was a good guide in the rebuild process. Sorry for any confusion ( I hope to have both of mine look as good as this)
Les
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

clm wrote:... a pic showing the commission number tag (what BMH calles the body number on the moke) quite a ways below the AB number plate which is spotwelded to the body. Oddly they are both mounted upside down...
Chris
I can see how some commission plates wound up upside down. One worker liked to be able to read the number while riveting it in place.... And another worker might decide that the numbers belonged the other way around.
Probably resulted in multiple arguments over the whole thing. :roll:
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.
sigmacon

Post by sigmacon »

Put a few more pics of the yellow as I found it. As a matter of interest I use two products on the resto's I have done. The first is called rust bullet and it is the best I have ever found for going over rusty surfaces ( after any loose rust has been removed) . Applied as directed the rust will never come back! The second is called Grizzly Grip it is often used as a truck bed liner but these folks make it in a fine compound (which looks a bit like chip preventer) and offer it in a number of colors. It is an Aliphatic Urethane which I apply over the rust bullet before painting. I also use Acrylic Urethane paint which bonds to the Grizzly grip. Done about 5 Minis this way all are doing just fine.
Les

Return to “Project "M"”