65 uk Moke Restoration

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
Wally2
MMC Member

Re: 65 uk Moke Restoration

Post by Wally2 »

Hi James,
Not sure which bracket you are after but Mini Spares have a selection on their web site, under engine -stabalisers.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

More work this wekend. I have removed everything from the shell so it is now good to go for shotblasting /priming and welding..... I have also partially dismantelled the engine , head off etc.. The cylinders look ok as does the head except for the bypass pipe which is corroded, I think I could still get a hose on it , but if not can this be repaired? I have bought some steel wheels and knobbly tyres for later!!! You,ve got to spend time getting some of the nice bits at some point!!!. Not looking forward to stripping down front subframe, - had enough of rusted nuts/bolts :( .. Any way I,ve started to dream about what colour to paint in.
My preference is a drab "army" Green, or dark landroeve type green, but not sure as yet, I definately don,t want to return to original colour although that may be a mistake.. but hey its my car :D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Shouldn't think there'll be too many rusty bolts on the front subframe......it is an A series after all :lol:
Come on summer
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi James,
I had the same problem with the by-pass ferule when I had to replace a blown cylinder head gasket last year.
Managed to get a new one first from here:-
http://min-its.com/mini_parts_accessories/Water.html
Then I had to carefully drill out the old one with a drill size just under the thread size and then carefully prize out the remainder of the old ferule so as not to damage the thread in the head.
Worked out ok in the end!
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi James,
Hows it going?
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

Hi Chris, going slowly at the moment, although I am managing to do a few hours every weekend. I have just finished stripping down the front sub frame, and cleaning up the front hubs . Big mistake- I should have loosened the front hub nuts whilst the car was on wheels as now it will be dificult! Anyway the subframe will go away next week for blasting and painting, I hope to get the shell away in the next couple of weeks as well , so if I do I will feel that progress is finally being made :D I,ll be glad to see the end of wrestling with rusty or seized nuts and bolts!, it seems unending. PS I still cannot figure out how to include photos in the replys, I have tried using MS snip tool but that doesn't,t work , any clues would be appreciated......
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi James,
Keep up the good work!
Photos - See how to load pics onto your posts at the 'Site discuss' second one down. I find it easier to load the pics onto the gallery ( as you have already done) then follow Deans instructions like this:-

Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

Hi all, a quick update, will try to upload some photos.....
Before sending shell off for blasting, I was advised to scrape off as much of the old underseal as possible, Easy to say but a different matter to do! I have spent hours each week end with a home made scraper - a 30mm saw blade about 200mm long and ground to a chisel blade edge, this works fine but it is ******** slow work! I have now only two compartments to clean out - and job done :D . I have had an ongoing problem with my Cooper with poor starting and clutch thrust bearing (possibly the 2nd worst job ever apart from trying to remove the radiator!!)so have had to spend some time on it to fix, hopefully now fixed so can get back on the Moke...It would be great to just turn the corner and start to rebuild :) :) ...James
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Lets see some 'BEFORE' and 'AFTER' pictures. 8)
Having a moking good time!
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

some photos of work this weekend and to date....including one of my cooper in bits trying to change clutch thrust bearing....James

ImageImage

j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

j Beeton wrote:some photos of work this weekend and to date....including one of my cooper in bits trying to change clutch thrust bearing....James

ImageImage

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that the red vehicle in the last pic is NOT a Mini Moke. 8)
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

You are corrected Doug... Read the first line of the post!
Come on summer
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

Doug the last pic is the Daddy Moke!!! :lol:
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:You are corrected Doug... Read the first line of the post!

Could please direct me to SpecSavers, I obviously can't see very well. :D

Return to “Project "M"”