65 uk Moke Restoration

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
Wally2
MMC Member

Re: 65 uk Moke Restoration

Post by Wally2 »

Hi James,
Nigel is correct, looks like there are two above and two below.
Looks like mine has a rubber or felt piece between the metal plate and the car on the inside and cork underneath.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

Thanks Nigel ,Chris. I kind of guessed this as i have 4 x plates in my dismantle bins!! and they will not be from any of my other mini variants...

Next question:

Regarding replacement battery. Does the battery just sit on the two ribs in the compartment and is held in place by the battery bar bolted to the 2 x long studs?

Is the battery fitted with the terminals at the rear ie: opposite the battery bar on hiull side or ar the terminals at the battery bar side?

Halford list 2 x batterys which are around £45.00 . one would enable the terminals to be at the hull side and the other terminals would be at the external side of the compartment?

Both are similar power rating so either would fit , but I don't want to buy the wrong one :?
thanks James

PS i have ordered 2 x brake cables from m-parts as the ones i have are mini ones and in the past some bod has invented an adapter bracket to attach these to the handbrake. I would reuse this but adjusting the cables would be diffcult as the tensioning nuts are under the central seat support ..
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I'm sure the terminals go on the outside of the compartment i.e. nearest the metal holding bar
Come on summer
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi James,
The spares manual shows it that way i.e. with the terminals to the fixing bar, is your Moke negative earth? if so the negative needs to be towards the rear of the car.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
pbraun

Post by pbraun »

James,

Looking good! You are ahead of my Moke assembly project, but I hope to be done sometime this fall.
peter
1965 Mini Moke, English built, on the road again!
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

Thanks All,
New brake cables from M-Parts fitted and correct length.. Windscreen refitted this weekend as well as a host of other little tasks, unfortunately weather was to good so garden duties took priority!!

Peter - I though you would be running aroung on your moke by now :D . :D . I am getting dangerously close to starting mine, new battery bought today :D .

Also I was out at the garden centre yesterday buying stuff, and on my way home a real live moke passed me in the opposite direction :shock: First I have ever seen on the road, it was in Potters Bar Herts and my friend reckons he has seen the car as well - a white painted UK car ... so it must reside somewhere nearby :) .. Is the owner a member maybe , if so please contact.....

regards James
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi James,
A couple of seats on e-bay!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/English-Mini- ... Sw~oFXKQSg
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

already on to them, fingers crossed.....thanks James
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

Sadly I did not get the seats, I was outbid in last few minutes even though I broke the auction cardinal sin if going well above my top limit! THey sold for a crazy price and are heading to Czechoslovakia... So search will continue. ..
Any way major progress on car, got the engine started last week, after 30 years of silence!! The fuel pump was not working so I had to put petrol in the carb bowl , and with a bit of cold start in the carb throat engine fired up and ran for about 10 secs. Then died. I checked everything and eventually found no spark at plugs, so checked the distributor and found the nut holding the points in place loose so sparking everywhere but the plugs!, once tightened car started ok. I then removed fuel pump and stripped it , the contacts were furred up so once cleaned tested across the battery and hey bingo working fine. Refitted and fuel flow to carb!!!! car started and once warm I could get it to tick over ok , but obviously timing Needed setting. Engine ran up to temp and held good just above normal on the gauge I fitted also oil pressure good at around 60 ... Happy days!
Issue then was the ignition light was not going out and I could not see a change on the voltage over the batt the terminals so more investigation required.
I fitted a new headlight switch as the original had an intermittent fault on head beam contact 8. Also the dip switch was very ntermittent so changed as well and now all lights working. Had a bit of fun getting the indicators working on off side and this turned out tot be a bad earth , this has been a common theme and pretty obvious really with all that new paint there is open cct connections here and there, seems a shame to scrape off all that paint to make a good earth path, but has to be done.
Continued with the charging cct tonight and after shorting out the Dynamo terminals and testing with DVM found no output from unit. So out it came and stripped down, carbon brushes had been fitted incorrectly and once sorted unit refitted and tested , with voltage output at last! I then had to adjust the control box cctv as the ignition light was glowing as you Revved up, so after adjustment got the charging and cut out set correctly and all good with car now charging battery as it shoud :D

So final thing to do is get the brakes and clutch filled with fluid and working. Get a steering wheel from somewhere and fit a horn, the terminal in the steering column has been refitted and works when shorted to earth so all good to go.

Then maybe MOT time . The rar vision panels in the canopy have mysteriously gone yellow in storage so I have taken them to a trimmer today to have new panels sewn in , will be ready to collect on Saturday and then I will fit on Sunday. ..

Now getting excited as I can see it on road soon, having never driven one or even been in one I am looking forward to this experience."..........James
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

James,
Does this mean no show at the L2B? Looks like we could be getting wet!!!
Cheers and keep up the good work!
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

Hi Chris, yep just too many little things to complete before L2B, but i may just come along anyway.....
I am now aiming for the Enfield Pageant on Bank Holiday next week, this is a very large fantastic local show and the Mini Cooper register have a dispaly area so with any luck i will be with them in the moke. Also as it is only about 7 miles from where i live not much chance of things falling off if i get the car on the road!!

regards James
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

Woo hoo, the moke is on the loose!!, finished it at 11pm on Friday night for mot at 8 am on Saturday.. Passed of course :D

So took to Enfield Pageant today and it was well viewed!!! But needs some twiddling with as in true honourable mini style it overheated on route, but when stationary it cooled down again!!! Also when I came to leave no clutch pressure, so we quickly bled the slave cylinder and temp got pressure back, legged it home and had to pump like mad for last few gear changes nearing home... So car has had a good ticking off and is now sulking... Get over it I say, will investigate in next few days, but going to sink some cool beers tonight to celebrate the maiden voyage..... :D :D
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi James,
Looks like all your hard work has paid off! :D
Will we be seeing you at the National in Falmouth?
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
pbraun

Post by pbraun »

Looking good! Hope to be there by the end of June, maybe! It will be done right!
peter
1965 Mini Moke, English built, on the road again!
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

Thanks all,.... Just a query, the car seems to over heat on temp gauge running at speed..35mph!!! But when ticking over it runs at just Above normal. If it is overheating would the coolant be boiling in the rad ? I thought it might be the fan belt being a bit loose so that when the engine is running at revs it is slipping and therefore not driving the fan enough and when ticking over the fan is ok? ... I tried to adjust the fan belt tighter but the bracket underneath seems to be at max distance , the belt has about 20mm movement . Maybe I have the wrong bracket , although minis pares replacement is for either Dynamo or alternator so probably no difference in length.....any ideas??......thanks james

Return to “Project "M"”