1966 Mini Moke Prisoner Project

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
Prisonerfan

Re: 1966 Mini Moke Prisoner Project

Post by Prisonerfan »

This the next set of pics of the widening of the rear of the moke,also same as front by 1 3/4 inches each side for wider wheel clearance ...... making new heavier hood bow brackets with brass bushes and thicker metal ,.....Windshield frame angle was made more verticle from factory specs, replicating The Prisoner moke in 1966 television series, also I made the windshield frame able to tilt horizontal over the bonnet, fabbing up some side covers to hide the windscreen frame anchor bolts ......note.... when new windshield frame was bought/ beacause original one was bent ,I guessed from people grabbing onto it getting in and out of vehicle ....So I welded on the inside of the w/s "U" channel frame (rubber side) 1/4 inch x1/2 wide cold rolled flat steel on each side up to and over curve of frame to prevent this from re-occuring ....this massively strengthened the windscreen frame ...now you can pull on window without worry of it bending or spliting glass, This is especially good when tensioning the canvas hood , ....air box welded in , so a webber 40mm and aluminum intake manifold could clear firewall for the 1310 rod shift motor.

Prisonerfan

Post by Prisonerfan »

Here are Further pictures of different special alterations I did to the moke , scaloping the rear bumper so tire would fit down into it , fabricated a reinforced bumper spare tire bracket to put less strain on rear tailgate panel (wheel assembly is much heavier then original 10 inch wheel)
Cut a piece of 1/8 rubber between wheel center and the 4 stud tire bracket to prevent rust from occuring and isolating vibration of the tire assembly
built in a integral license plate bracket
3m clear rock guard was applied to bottom of bumper tire plate ( where tire contacts bumper } keeps tire from marking paint.
Bonnet stiffening with extra center reinforcing bracing installed ,1/4 inch X 1.5 inch steel bar formed and welded in on front inside lip of bonnet ,both modifications stopped it from flexing/twisting , fabricated a prop rod which clips to back of rear of headlight bucket .
Removable fender skirts I fabbed up with lower 90 degree lip for stiffness , flush and clean with no visible attaching screws as opposed to the original prisoner moke which was just a flat plates which were just screwed from outside.
Further pictures of underside bodywork ...the yellow caulking is high performance 3m flexible paint-able body seam sealer applied to all and any seams throughout the whole body, preventing moisture entering and rust from forming .
If you look closely you will notice , when I widened the body front and rear I added the square "u " channel added to the underside of fenders front and rear to reinforce them.
On the triangle floor channels, on edge of panniers (when I repaired both sides) , I drilled in a series of 1/2 inch water drain holes to prevent water /moisture from collecting in the cavity , and air is able to circulate throughout easily so drying occurs ...original design was terribly flawed.
Built a series of custom molded 1/8 inch aluminum floor pan inserts which are painted same as body color (just showed raw alum. panels)...these will be installed with nylon washers between to prevent rusting chipping /wear /scuffs between pan and floor ... these will help reinforce the flexing of floor panel when standing upright on them, I'm a heavy guy !! ...that is what all the other holes pictured throughout the body floor pan are for.
The shifter hole was moved backward to accommodate the rod type shifter from the magic wand original style location .
Fabricated up a dash flat panel with integral coffee/ drink holder for driver and passenger side , panel handy for keys, maps, odds/ends ...has lip on perimeter to prevent stuff from rolling off.

http://www.gallery.mokeclub.org/albums/ ... arge29.jpg
Last edited by Prisonerfan on Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:11, edited 12 times in total.
Prisonerfan

Post by Prisonerfan »

Here are some undercarrage paint pics

pbraun

Post by pbraun »

I like a lot of the modifications you have done to your Moke. Hood prop, shelf, spare mount etc.... Nice job!

Question for you: On one of the "before" pics, showing the empty engine compartment, with wiring loom, on the right side, above the "commission number", looks like 2 larger red? wires hanging out. What were those for? any idea? Maybe you used them again? Thanks! How about some more pics of the finished Moke? They may be somewhere, I just haven't found them as yet. Thanks!
peter
1965 Mini Moke, English built, on the road again!
Prisonerfan

Post by Prisonerfan »

The 2 red wires/ rubber connector in harness above the commision tag side .....one red hooks to the sub harness going down to the right turn signal , other one is blank/no wire
Brian
pbraun

Post by pbraun »

Thanks! I like your moke!
peter
1965 Mini Moke, English built, on the road again!
Prisonerfan

Post by Prisonerfan »

Thanks for the likes , the moke I will get back onto soon finishing her completely off ...still got to sew up stripey /foam seat cushions , wood grain for the side inserts and top of panier , stripey spare tire cover... and I'm making from scratch the correct prisoner original jeweled mud flaps ...remove the moke labeled ones
A lot of work.... well, really a lota fun went into the moke to get her into the shape she's in.......definitely well worth it
any other questions on the moke fire away ....I have factory manuals , wiring diagrams, lots of detailed pictures of restoration .....I been in every nook and cranny of the moke and being a retired mechanic after this restoration I can anwser any question on where parts , modifications.... whatever
Brian
Drake
MMC Member

Post by Drake »

I followed this build originally and was one of the reasons I joined the site.
Regards the mudflaps, they were vespa scooter mud flaps and are available. Not 100% correct as they are repro but same style and you can then attach the reflector.

Look forward to the update.
Prisonerfan

Post by Prisonerfan »

Thanks for the tip!!!! , will be checking it out
Brian

Return to “Project "M"”