1986 AMC Cub Moke-a-like

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
Wally2
MMC Member

Re: 1986 AMC Cub Moke-a-like

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Drake,
If you want to keep the 13" but are worried about them sticking out a little you could do what I've done and fit some rubber shields
These were made from garage door bottom seals from Screwfix, one length will do both sides and costs less than £15. I just cut, bent and fitted using self tapping screws.
They stop spray coming off the tyres vey well and it has passed MOT with them on.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

:lol: or get an Aussie with them already fitted :lol:
Come on summer
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Nigel,
That's true and you can still get new guards from France
http://www.mokoncept.fr/en/49-bavettes-pare-boue

Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Drake
MMC Member

Post by Drake »

I'm wanting to keep the wheels tucked in. It's looking like I'll use 5j 12" minilites. And space the rears out. The discs at the front are causing the wider track.

As an update all loose parts have been dropped off at painters and the shell is being collected Monday. Getting excited now. :D
Drake
MMC Member

Post by Drake »

Not much to update, I have a few pics but away on business at mo. Basically the car was picked up today and is at the painters. Watch this space 8)
Drake
MMC Member

Post by Drake »

Been working hard prior to the Cub being dropped of at the painters. It's not back yet so just bringing this upto date.
It's taken some prep work, ideally i'd have liked to have fully stripped it back but my garage is so small and it's so messy to nitromors that I resorted to sanding. Not that sanding is clean - everything is chuffing orange which has not impressed the misses!!! I'm sort of glad the Cub is not back this weekend as it means i can tidy the garage ready for the nice bit of rebuilding it.

Regards the wheels i've decied to opt for 12"x5j minilite wheels (mainly cause I have some) and cause they fit under the arches. Tyres still to purchase. If anyone wants some 13" weller style wheels with as new Yokohama tyres drop me a line.

And some parts returned from painting - opted for Old English White in the end

Had the rear bumper shot blasted prior to paint

Hopefully more updates soon - i've also completed my owners club form so hoping to send that in when pay day arrives. That is if your still ok with a Cub owner in the ranks !!!

And before I forget does anyone know where I can source an Austin front panel badge (the small riveted type?)
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Drake,
No problem with you joining the club I'm sure!
My Moke has the badge from M Parts described as a rocker cover badge!
http://www.m-parts.co.uk/index.php?rout ... uct_id=754
All looking good with the resto!
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Drake
MMC Member

Post by Drake »

Thanks Chris, that's perfect and just what I'm after. It is still an austin after all. :?
Drake
MMC Member

Post by Drake »

Parismoke wrote:Hello

I am having a similar 1987 Andersen Cub (it was orange red) refurbished up in not very sunny Cumbria and wondered if you could let me know what you did with the hood on your moke and what state it is in as we are having difficulty determining if anybody can help us. Have you got that far yet?

I will try and see if I can insert some pictures of mine.

Thx
HI Parismoke - met your mechanic yesterday, top bloke and you now have a complete hood frame heading up to Cumbria. Pleased to help and hope your Cub rebuild goes to plan. Really like the pictures and another early one.
I'm chuffed, as it's cleared a big space out of my garage. No news on my Cub yet but hoping it will be back from the painters next week.
Parismoke

Post by Parismoke »

Hello
Thanks for the update. Will ensure that you get a photo of the finished product. All the best.
Drake
MMC Member

Post by Drake »

The Cub is back, took a little longer than expected as we were keeping costs down by them fitting it in with other jobs. Anyways I'm really pleased with it and now the fun begins. I have a deadline of a week to get at least the screen and roof supports on ready for the roof to be fitted on the 18th April. And to complicate matters further it's my wedding anniversay next weekend (10 years) so no playing on Moke as I'm taking my lovely wife away for the weekend. That leaves this weekend. So best stop messing on laptop and start fitting it up!!!

luckily paintshop were happy with my prep work and didnt need to do any more other than clean and mask prior to primer.

So there we have it - resplendant in Old English White. First job is to underseal under the arches, paint the inner bodywork ready for the rubber matting to be fitted.
Reall pleased with it
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Drake,
How did the roof fitting go yesterday? I could do with knowing how good a job they did on the top.
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Drake
MMC Member

Post by Drake »

Hi Wally
Thanks for asking - a little dissapointing to report that they cancelled just before the weekend which meant I lost a days holiday.
Anyways I dont want it rushing and they have been fine about it and apologised etc. If i'm honest it's allowed me some extra fitting time before they turn up. Also I've decided to change my wheels and they have agreed to remake the spare wheel cover to the new wheel so cant complain.

In other news - I've been tackling the painting of the underside/inner box sections and various teadious jobs that are not worth imaging however I am now a member of the Moke club and my confirmation came through the other day (wish i'd known about the 10% discount with Mokepanels - oh well leason learned).

And i've also been asked if it will be finished and ready for a large event later in the year which I am very chuffed about so that gives me more of an incentive - well chuffed and flattered.
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Drake,
It would be great to see you at an event, be able to see the beast in the flesh then (and the new hood!).
Welcome to the club as well!! You will have to ask Nigel to change your name to blue!
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Cub-sprout

Post by Cub-sprout »

This is a great cub! Very impressed with your work and design.

You've shown me how good the cub can be so much that I went and bought one! :D

Return to “Project "M"”