1986 AMC Cub Moke-a-like

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
Drake
MMC Member

1986 AMC Cub Moke-a-like

Post by Drake »

Greetings all, I've been a bit of a lurker here dipping in and looking at some of the cracking projects on here. The Oregan Moke was the one that hooked me in!!
Ok I own an Anderson Cub or AMC Cub which is a kit car, I've been told it's the oldest one known and is registered 1986 (started making them in 1985).
This is it in an earlier life - taken from the original ebay ad.

However I bought it looking like this - yes I know, very orange (wont be staying that colour!!!). Apparently it was used for a charity run hence the colours and sponsorship. I think he said it went to south of France !!!

It was bought as a non runner - previous owner to me replaced the original engine with a 1989 1275 metro engine. After a little tinkering it fired up and runs sweet. But by eck it's not built well (the chassis and body are spot on) but it has lots of bodges I cant live with. Initial plan was to quickly get it on the road and then use it. But i scuppered that plan and I'm doing a full ground up build.
The plan is to continue where Charles Anderson left off and try to make it more Moke like.
It's now at a stage where i'm carrying out my own Moke mods, as far as I can tell no one else has done what I plan so should make it pretty unique.
I'm hoping you guys can help me with the finer details and any Mini/Moke mechanical issues as that will be the bit I struggle on. I have lots of old cars (just finished an Anglia) and this is the next project lined up.
Tim

Re: 1986 AMC Cub Moke-a-like

Post by Tim »

Looks like a good project, but what's wrong with orange?

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

:? Just what I was thinking :D even the bus looks like the one outside my house
Come on summer
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

Drake,
Nothing at all wrong with an AMC Cub, certainly a well made and finished kit.
Likewise, there's not much wrong with Bright Nigel Orange, or Denzil Purple for that matter!
It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, build it your way and be happy.
It looks like you've got a good solid starting place for your project, what else are you on for changing to make it more "Moke like" ?

Roger G
My other car is a Moke......
My other Moke is an Ant....
Drake
MMC Member

Post by Drake »

Tim wrote:Looks like a good project, but what's wrong with orange?

Tim
:shock: Nowt wrong with Orange, but not my cup of tea - Plan is for it to be white
Drake,
Nothing at all wrong with an AMC Cub, certainly a well made and finished kit.
Likewise, there's not much wrong with Bright Nigel Orange, or Denzil Purple for that matter!
It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, build it your way and be happy.
It looks like you've got a good solid starting place for your project, what else are you on for changing to make it more "Moke like" ?
Thanks guys - for the vote of support. I suppose I best update this to bring it up to speed. Regards the plans for Moke Like / I like the simplicity of the English Moke (not that the others are mega plush!) As it's not a genuine Moke I'm placing my own take on what Charles Anderson could have done. In simple terms, the AMC rollbar and bumpers will be going, flat rear panel. Moke style side panels and aussie grille. Plus what ever else I come up with as I progress !!

So a few general pics to show the general state of play.

And then the strip down

The wiring was a mess - new loom ordered from Autosparkes

To give you an idea of the initial build - one of the bolts had snapped so the seat was only held on with 3 bolts.

I'll keep up dating to to bring it up to date - the plan is for it to be on the road for Spring 2016 !!! at least I have no body rot to sort!!
Drake
MMC Member

Post by Drake »

Forgot to add, just got back from the NEC (visited Friday) The guys on the stand were really helpful and encourging of my project. I've started reading the duly purchased Moke book (thanks) And the referance pics have already come in handy today (more to follow) WIll be joining the club shortly.
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi, Looking good so far!
If you are wanting to make it look even more like a Moke, I suggest you try and get hold of a copy of Roy Scotts book on Moke restoration it has great detailed drawings of all the Mokes panels and how they go together. It is called 'mini Moke, A Comprehensive Guide To Restoration' I think the last edition was the third printed in March 2008. You can sometimes pick up a copy on e-bay.
You could try and pm at 1967moke to see if he has any left. (he is also the editor of the Moking Magazine).
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

He's none left....your only hope is to scour Amazon/eBay or one of the used book search engines
Come on summer
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Could be time for a 4th edition? Roy?
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Drake
MMC Member

Post by Drake »

I've heard of the book from somewhere else, to be honest it's been in my saved seaches on ebay for over a year and non have ever come up. I'll keep looking though - one day

An an attempt to get this up to speed and without trying to do too much in one go i'll keep plodding with the update.

One of the things to sort was the fuel tank, i knew it leaked (at the joint) but other than a bit of loose debris in the tankit was still pretty solid

One thing Inoticed was the the sender unit could not possibly work (it was an at angle and the float arm was too small. It had the correct van sender as specified by AMC however this needed modifying.

Trusty tap and die set out / will be used a lot on this car as I dont think copper slip was plentiful when it was built. All the threads will be retapped as I go along.

Arm lengthened useing an old stainless car radio ariel

Fits nice - so a quick lick of paint on the tank and thats been put to one side ready for refitment.

One other area noted - was that the carb was knocking against the bulkhead when I had it running. Someone previous had attempted a recess to accept the carb/manifold / air filter.

This had to go so was cut out and a new box section will be made to fit in. I've checked it cleared before front subframe was removed.

At the same time stripped the rear out

oh and another job done, noticed the pedal box was seized so stripped it down/copper slipped and reassembled.

Suspect that as the pedal box is open from the engine bay that water dripped onto pedal box causing it to seize.I plan to modify that area.

Anyways more to follow
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Drake,
This SS petrol tank has been on and off e-bay for months, a bit expensive but he may take an offer?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMC-CUB-Stain ... xy1RZSUVnv
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Drake
MMC Member

Post by Drake »

Wally2 wrote:Hi Drake,
This SS petrol tank has been on and off e-bay for months, a bit expensive but he may take an offer?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMC-CUB-Stain ... xy1RZSUVnv
Cheers
Chris
Thanks for the link / and yes i've kept seeing that pop up but to be honest the tank is pretty well protected on the Cub and is very well built as such I dont really have the want or need for it. If it was considerably cheaper i'd be interested but I woudnt insult the guy with my offer :wink:

Anyway next round of updates

The next job to tackle was the dash / I couldnt make my mind up on which route I wanted to go down. However I knew the AMC dash had to go. Great if you want lots of dials and switches but I like the simple look of the original Moke.

So with the dash cut out from the engine side for extra room needed for the carb I cut the original dash supports away.

I then moved the inwards to replicate more of an aussie Moke style - however I still wasn't a fan.

next job was to close the bulkhead off (engine removed as well during this for the observant amongst you).

and blank the holes off as they were in the wrong place

Sorry it's a bit blurred but you get the idea

You can see where i've removed the header rail as that no longer fits in with my plans but I did decide to keep the shelf as I think that will come in handy and it takes your eye off the kit car style bulkhead.

SO dash fitted and hole relocated.

Almost up to date, but starting to make good progress.

This is where I could do with some assistance, is it worth fitting the heater (obviously not for heat given the open space!!) but more for engine cooling. Will it make much of a differance / is it needed or am I just adding complication? help appreciated. If I fit I need to start planning it now. I have a spare heater but it never had one fitted.
Tim

Post by Tim »

If you don't need the heater for heating, I wouldn't bother with it for cooling. As long as your radiator is reasonable you shouldn't need the heater as well.

That said, I often use my heater even with the top down. It's good for warming cold fingers (but not much more).

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Drake,
I fitted a heater from a mini van, on cold days it does warm your ankles! and on really warm days (remember them?) on long trips it does reduce the engine temp by approx. 5 degrees.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

And don't forget if you do fit a heater to help with engine cooling (cos that's all it's really good for) as opposed to a decent radiator you'll have several more joints that WILL start leaking
He says....looking at that little wet spot that's just appeared in the passenger footwell :cry:
Come on summer

Return to “Project "M"”