67 Morris Moke

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
peterbradbury

Re: 67 Morris Moke

Post by peterbradbury »

Things get better...

Having stripped the head off today I've discovered a 2nd bolt had snapped. At this point I'm not sure my mechanical skills are capable of getting the remains of both bolts out of the block..

I'll upload a picture when I work out how to use the Gallery here!
67 Morris Moke
Halfpint

Post by Halfpint »

Oh no!
To have one bolt break is bad enough, but 2 is just..... well..... I can understand why you would walk away for a bit.
For new bolts, I'd be questioning the supplier.
Did they break below the the block deck level?
Halfpint
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

Here are the two offending studs! I got the 1st out with little difficulty, however the 2nd is proving a pain and my stud extractor will not remove it. I'm a little worried that when drilling into it I may have damaged the threads and that's why I can't get it out. It's looking less and less likely that I'll be taking a Moke to the National rally.
67 Morris Moke
Tim

Post by Tim »

You could consider calling a moble thread repair service. We have a local guy who is really good. Turns up in his van and works a minor miracle.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

With time and skills against me the Moke set off on the back of a recovery truck this morning to Little Garage Classics in Halifax, they have been sorting the body work on my Pick-Up, and are going to try and get it turned around in time for me to get to the National Rally in it. Fingers crossed.
67 Morris Moke
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Good luck Peter, be great to see you at the National!
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Aye, you've got to come now...I'm just putting the Saturday meal order in and your names on it :wink:
Come on summer
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 16:43 Aye, you've got to come now...I'm just putting the Saturday meal order in and your names on it :wink:
I'll be there, it's just a question now of which classic I'll be in!
67 Morris Moke
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Peter,
your picture didn't seem to come out above so here it is!
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

Good news, my garage has just let me know the Moke is ready. Just need an MOT now and then National Rally here we come!
67 Morris Moke
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Woo Hoo 8)
Come on summer
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

I had a throughly enjoyable time at my 1st National Rally last weekend, despite the the dreaded journey home on the 'Truck of Shame'

The alternator had been overcharging and had cooked the battery. I suspect this had actually been happening for while, however the short local journeys I normally do, the significantly longer running involved over the weekend let the symptoms show.

Once home I got the old alternator off and battery out, a conversation with the local motor factor saw a new battery and alternator (I did have a spare of the shelf, however the bearing didn't sound too great when spinning it by hand) being ready for me to collect Wednesday morning. I got all this fitted and ready to test, only to discover I'd misplaced the keys when I got home :oops: Still keys have now been found, so test run in the morning.

The offending items!

New Alternator fitted, certainly more tricky than I remember on a Mini with a removable grill!
67 Morris Moke
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

At least you can take the bonnet off.......better than smacking your head on it like with a mini
Come on summer
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:43 At least you can take the bonnet off.......better than smacking your head on it like with a mini
Too right!

Well a successful test drive this morning, up and over Holme Moss so a good 30 or so mile round trip and no issues have presented themselves. She's even kept all of her coolant in, having been losing a little when ever used and boiling plenty over the National weekend. Seems the belt must not quite have been tight enough.
67 Morris Moke
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

Having not updated this at all since September last year, I've been inspired to, by this years wonderful National.

I had a great weekend and the Moke performed well (no big yellow taxi! :D ). On the way home I did develop a rather loud squeaking noise from the engine & the temperature gauge crept up, luckily a handy services was close by so I pulled over for a look. To say the fan belt was loose was an understatement, I'm not actually sure how it stayed on. A quick adjustment of the alternator, time to let it cool for a bit, a drink for me, the coolant was topped up and I was back on my way.

The only other issue to report is a blow from somewhere around the exhaust manifold. Decision time, the original HS2 carb is fitted but the car has a later 998. I'm tempted by a whole new inlet, exhaust manifold, exhaust and carb.....
67 Morris Moke

Return to “Project "M"”