67 Morris Moke

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
Halfpint

Re: 67 Morris Moke

Post by Halfpint »

The pin is likely floating around in the bulk head somewhere.
Try an R clip in the pin, still just as much of a pain to fit, but easier when you want to remove it.
HP
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:35 mmmm Clevis pins 8) best job in the world putting them and the split pins back in.
Tell me about it! I'm sure in a few days my hand will be back to its normal colour.
67 Morris Moke
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

Halfpint wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:25 The pin is likely floating around in the bulk head somewhere.
Try an R clip in the pin, still just as much of a pain to fit, but easier when you want to remove it.
HP
That's what I've gone with
67 Morris Moke
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

After hours bent snake like over the side and round the metal seats taking them in and out ( it’s sooo much easier in a mini) I invested in one of these
FD2681B5-999E-47F5-B56A-CF43D3C3C8C7.jpeg
Just have to wait until I need to change the master cylinders now
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Come on summer
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Peter,
Hopefully brakes all done now! So I've replaced all the wheel cylinders, all the flexible hoses, the fluid( at least twice!), all the shoes and all the shoe springs. Seems I had a problem with the adjusters on the front off side, both were a little 'loose' and tended to de-adjust themselves as I braked and released. Not sure if you can replace these offset pin adjusters, they seem to be part of the back plates. I've managed to tighten them up using some thin copper wire, see how that goes. Even thought the shoes didn't look too worn (fronts more worn than the rear), they have been on about 14 years, so now I've got to take it easy for a few miles to get them bedded in.
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
dingbat0

Post by dingbat0 »

Hi Chris,
had the same problem with mine, thought it was the adjusters, turned out to be the shoes, the holes were worn where the adjuster goes through, solved the problem, fitted discs! Easiest way I find for the R clip or split pin, long nosed locking pliers, much easier,
Mick.
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

IMG_20210205_165636[1].jpg
Well it's been a while since I've updated anything on here, partly because with the exception of a trip to the Welsh Weekend the Moke hasn't been anywhere.

When it came to oil change time I encountered a small problem, the filter was jammed solid and broke my removal tool! A long delay followed before I could be bothered to even look at this, but today I did! I decided easiest way forward was to remove the filter head, replace it with a new one and then I may try and save this one when I've time. The picture is just having started the car post change, after taking the picture the favourite theme of this thread returned.... A coolant weep from the head gasket by No4. Looks like its coming off again...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
67 Morris Moke
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi Peter. have you have had the Block and Head machined together. A good machine shop should be able to machine both, to make sure they are flat, and mate with no high or low spots.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

Hi Graham, hope you are ok! I think you thoughts on the block not being flat are probably right, 2 separate heads (both known to be flat) have been used and have always in the end had these little water leaks. I have a composite head gasket that is slightly thicker than the copper one on it currently, think I'll give that a try & hope that i can take up any imperfection on the block. Given the furlough situation funds are slightly tighter than they should be, so I'll continue to try and save in order to get the cars original engine rebuilt if this doesn't work.
67 Morris Moke
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Peter, I've had similar leaks with head gaskets, even after the block and head were skimmed. I read a procedure on a mini site about this and so I tried it. Once the head has been torqued down and everything back in place, I started the engine with no water in it, only left it running until the head got hand hot, then turned it off and left it overnight. I then 're tightened the head down next day, filled with coolant then ran the engine at low revs until up to temp. This seemed to work, provided the engine has oil and you don't let it get too hot all should be well, the heat helps the gasket to seal before the water gets at it. I've always used copper faced gaskets but have been advised that the composite ones can be better as they are a little
thicker. Good luck with it!
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

peterbradbury wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:39 Hi Graham, hope you are ok! I think you thoughts on the block not being flat are probably right, 2 separate heads (both known to be flat) have been used and have always in the end had these little water leaks. I have a composite head gasket that is slightly thicker than the copper one on it currently, think I'll give that a try & hope that i can take up any imperfection on the block. Given the furlough situation funds are slightly tighter than they should be, so I'll continue to try and save in order to get the cars original engine rebuilt if this doesn't work.
Hi Peer, we are well thanks. I know what you mean about lack of funds at the moment. I have heard of Chris's idea, but the couple of people who I know of who tried it, did not meet with too much success.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

I've braved the cold today to get started on the head gasket. Getting the head off is becoming a very quick process now!
IMG_20210306_160710.jpg
I've also stripped the carb down and started cleaning it, I've had a rebuild kit on the shelf for ages bought by mistake for a different car, so I'm planning to have a go at some of the modifications to the butterfly/shaft in the Vizard book.

Plenty of grime came off and the inside of the float bowl had some sediment in it. Are inline filters worth it? Non of my minis have ever had one.
67 Morris Moke
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

For what they cost it’s a “why not?” thing I reckon.
Come on summer
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

IMG_20210314_173736.jpg
Well that went well....
67 Morris Moke
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Peter, hope you managed to get the broken stud out ok. Are you replacing all of the studs?
Like you I'm thinking that my head gasket has gone yet again! Went out for a little run in the sunshine yesterday and on the way back it seemed I only had 3 cylinders working. I'd noticed that the oil pressure seemed a little high as well but just before getting home I seemed to get all 4 going, strange.
Looking at it this morning, once up to temp I had smoke (oil smell) coming out of the exhaust. I stopped the engine and took out the plugs as soon as I removed No. 4 I had smoke coming out the cylinder. So either the gasket has gone between No. 4 and an oil way or something more drastic is afoot! With the plugs out I did a compression test and they were all between 160 and 170, so the rings should be ok. I will take the head off this weekend and investigate further. I've bought one of the composite 'black' gasket for a replacement as this is the 3rd copper faced one to go (if it is the gasket that is).
I'm starting to think that the new gaskets are not up to much. Which type are you using?
Good luck with yours.
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D

Return to “Project "M"”