Mike's Moke

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
Mickey C

Mike's Moke

Post by Mickey C »

Hi everyone
I'm a long time lurker and felt I'd better get involved.
When I was 17 (alas a long, long time ago), my mate and I bought and restored a 1965 Moke. I will dig out some pictures and see if its still out there. I sold it for pennies whilst flat broke at Uni and one of my few regrets in life - a few other vehicles and girls have got away but there are other stories.

last year, I convinced the family we really needed a moke and surprisingly they agreed so I bought this: (I'm not sure about this image hosting stuff so if they come out weird, I'm sorry)

Mechanically it seemed sound and having arrived from Spain I was hooping the rust wont have been anywhere near as bad as I remembered with British Moke. Unfortunately false hope and the few rust spots I noticed turned out to be a new floor pan and lots of work on the side panels and in the boxes. Much welding, that rust eating stuff who's name I forget, and sanding got me to here.

My dad has always restored vintage cars and so has well stocked garage. Also I'm on a budget so DIY home spray job:
Mickey C

Re: Mike's Moke

Post by Mickey C »

So work continued off and on through the winter and I'm pleased with the finish. I was never looking for something concourse, more just solid / rust free and tidy.

the rear seats were also really rusty and needed a lot of work and whilst not perfect have come up pretty well.

the fun bit was bolting it all back together - I got the roll bars and bumpers powder coated.
Also the kids are really keen to come for rides and it didn't arrive with rear seat belts so some of those fitted.

and so a few weeks ago and after a few tweaks due to it being left hand drive, e.g. for and reverse light on the wrong way around, its passed its MOT.
I've taken my main car off the road and am having great fun commuting to work, doing school and sports clubs runs etc. in it. I've got a few more things to sort out. The gear box has too much play and trying to sort out some all weather protection. Plus I have a few other questions which I will ask in a separate post.
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Mickey,
Welcome to the forum, looks like you have a great project on the go. When up and running you will have to join us on an event, also joining the club would be an idea, we have over 500 members now.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Mickey C

Post by Mickey C »

Hi & thanks Chris
I'm really pleased it (/her)! I've joined the club & enjoyed the magazine.
I'm also racking up the miles, been using it every day, this generally dry spell us really good fun & even the odd bit of rain was OK although I got even more funnier looks than usual!
I'd also like to meet some fellow mokers but I won't make your Euro road trip.
I hope to be able to pick the brains of you guys.

Return to “Project "M"”