WEE MOKE

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
Wally2
MMC Member

Re: WEE MOKE

Post by Wally2 »

I'm Mokeless yet again! :o

Wee Moke is back in the garage with engine out, hoping they can fix the oil leak this time! :cry: :cry:

Mind you its not fir to turn a dog out let alone a Moke!!

Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
pbraun

Post by pbraun »

Darn oil leaks.
peter
1965 Mini Moke, English built, on the road again!
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

WEE MOKE is back and not loosing any oil (at the moment!). :D :D :D
The leak was from the half moon crankshaft seal. Apparently the garage had 3 different manufacturers seals, all of which appeared to be too long and the ends projected above the joint face, so that when the gearbox was pulled up to the block the seal pushed down and buckled thus causing the leak. They seem to have cured it by cutting a little off the end of the seal so that it fitted flush with the joint face. They had not come across this problem before and the suppliers all said they only had one seal for this application. This was the first time they had done a 3 syncro box so I'm not sure if this should have a different seal but as I say there seems to be only one available now, although Moss Europe actually do two AUH1959 and AUH1959Z but they dont say what the difference is or what gearboxes they are for.
Nevermind all seems well now (fingers crossed!).
Any one else had this problem?
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Every, and I mean every one I've ever fitted stuck up in the way you describe. I've always cut the protruding bits off and thought nothing of it, I thought they were all like that.
Come on summer
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:Every, and I mean every one I've ever fitted stuck up in the way you describe. I've always cut the protruding bits off and thought nothing of it, I thought they were all like that.
As Nigel says every one sticks up. I was told this was to squash the seal down , so that you do not get oil leaks. I have never cut the ends off and neve had an oil leak from that seal.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Drake
MMC Member

Post by Drake »

grantourer wrote:
Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:Every, and I mean every one I've ever fitted stuck up in the way you describe. I've always cut the protruding bits off and thought nothing of it, I thought they were all like that.
As Nigel says every one sticks up. I was told this was to squash the seal down , so that you do not get oil leaks. I have never cut the ends off and neve had an oil leak from that seal.
As has been said - it's meant to stick up a little just to help the seal. Never rebuilt a Mini but done plenty of Fords and it's like that on them. Wont harm to be trimmed a little as you state if too much it will pucker up as it's bolted down.
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Had Wee Moke on a Rolling road for final set up before the National in Yorkshire. Brilliant session, everything set up and it was running great until the head gasket went on the way up to Yorkshire!! :twisted: :twisted:
Setting up and tying down!
Running up!

Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
1967moke

Post by 1967moke »

Hi Chris, how about an article for the magazine, some really got pictures of a superbly finished engine bay.

Hope the gasket is sorted

Cheers Roy
pbraun

Post by pbraun »

Best luck on the replacement head gasket.
peter
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Wee Moke is now windscreenless, hoodless and hood hoopless!
I am in the process of refurbishing the windscreen frame and the hood hoops while awaiting a new hood! (still no sides though!).
Getting the glass out of the frame was - interesting, not half as interesting as trying to get it back in though (later!).
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
pbraun

Post by pbraun »

Nice bonnet graphic!
peter
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi Chris. last time I did a Moke windscreen. I used 2 bottles of fairy liquid and a lot of patience. got that to look forward to on Judith's Moke!!
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Why not just drive it as it is chris? Think of the fuel savings......you must have halved the frontal area by losing the screen
Come on summer
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Nigel,
It would be the flies in the gob that would be the problem there!
Hi Graham,
Yes, as I was taking the glass out I was thinking this is going to be fun getting it back in! The existing main frame rubber looks ok so I will reuse but the lower frame one has been cut short and has been damaged by water/rust in the lower frame so I'm ordering a new piece.
Is it best to put the rubber onto the glass and then try and get it into the frame, or frame first then the glass? I've got some ratchet straps waiting to squeeze it altogether but its getting it to that stage!
Had fun with the 'lift the dot' pins (bought a new set of pins some 5 years ago from Mark Peacock when I was supposed to be doing the frame! :oops: ), a) drilling the old rivets out :twisted: , b) Using one of the longer pins as pattern to determine the rivet size, then drilling the frame holes out to suite, only to then find that the shorter pins have smaller holes (not now they don't!) c) then discovering that the hole spacings on said longer pins are different to the shorter pins unlike the holes in my frame, which now have oval holes for the two longer pins. Other than that things are going fine, apart from breaking a drill bit trying to drill out one of the pivot pins on one of the hoop frames (they were welded in!) said broken drill bit, hot and travelling at some speed, then embedded itself in my thumb, blood everywhere! Now band from anywhere in the house with any sign of blood spurting out as apparently it goes everywhere! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Should my thumb heal before I get the frame and hoops back, I will let you know how I get on putting it all back together again! :wink:
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

1967moke wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 19:28 Hi Chris, how about an article for the magazine, some really got pictures of a superbly finished engine bay.

Hope the gasket is sorted

Cheers Roy
Hi Roy, will do an article for the Feb edition of the mag. Gasket is now sorted (fingers crossed!).
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D

Return to “Project "M"”