Flag pole

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
dpstjp
MMC Member

Flag pole

Post by dpstjp »

I have flag pole envy after the London NYD Parade.

Any Mokers had success with a flag pole on their Mokes driven at speed? I'm running a car rally for my sailing club (sounds silly, I know) and would love to fit a flag pole to fly the burgee from but it needs to be:

a) detachable, but
b) only detachable when I choose it to be, and not at 50MPH with some very expensive classic cars behind me.

Any thoughts?
grantourer
MMC Member

Re: Flag pole

Post by grantourer »

Hi, my flag pole at London NYD parade, was a length of Alloy barrel clamped to the rear bumper with 2 swivel clamps. Not sure how you would do two fixings on an English Moke
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi,
I have an army Clansman antenna on the back of WEE MOKE, bolted to a bracket off the bumper support.
It has 3 1m sections so I can have it 2m high or 3m high, it is fitted into an Clansman rubber mount which prevents it swaying about. The antenna is slide into the base and a screw ring tightened to keep it in place. I usually take it down when not with the Moke to prevent it walking.
These used to be available from army surplus stores but they are getting rare. They are available on e-bay (search army vehicle clansman antenna) but the price is going up now.
I did try one of the old 60's type fibre glass whip antennas that you tend to see on scooters but they sway around way too much.
Good luck
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
dpstjp
MMC Member

Post by dpstjp »

Thank you, Gentlemen.

The Clansman looks perfect. I wonder if my 9th/12th Lancer cousin can "borrow" one.
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Good luck finding one, they used to be on all sorts of vehicles from tanks to land rovers but not sure if they use them on modern vehicles.
Cheers
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Tim

Post by Tim »

In my youth I had one of those bendy sticks with a little pennant on top that was meant for a kids bike. It was attached to the spare tyre mounting bolt. I imagined it looked 'jaunty'. It didn't last long, the corner of the flag flapped itself to pieces and the stupid thing used to set off the height alarms in underground car parks and scrape on the roof.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
dpstjp
MMC Member

Post by dpstjp »

Clansman and mount on its way. I’ll pay a visit to Gary at M&G Motors to make up a bracket for me.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
dpstjp
MMC Member

Post by dpstjp »

Got my bits. Word of warning for folks going down the Clansman route, make sure you buy the base of the Clansman with the clamp that secures the aerial to the base. My first base came without a clamp and you run the risk of losing the aerial if it's not secured.

Now to get the bracket made.
dpstjp
MMC Member

Post by dpstjp »

All done.

M&G in SW11 used a couple of U-bolts which fitted the base of the Clansman perfectly. They had to drill out the holes in the base to be able to fit the bolts properly. The base was mounted on on of the l-shaped brackets for the tow bar, as the top of the bracket was flat.

The bracket for the bumper was also L-shaped but not flat on top, so not possible to securely mount the base onto it.
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi, mine is mounted off the bumper bracket, I had a welded 'T' bracket which I cut and bolted to the 'L' shaped bumper bracket. The mount for the Clansman antenna is a Mark 6 I think, this has the clamp to secure the antenna.
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D

Return to “Project "M"”