1966 moke build

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
Willie_B

1966 moke build

Post by Willie_B »

The thread I started when I dragged it home has had the photo links broke (thanks photobucket) so I thought I would start a new one. This way most of the various post/photos I have done will be massed here. Lets see what I can find of the starting point. This was a rental car on Catalina Island California so whatever was done was the cheapest or easiest way. Rivet, glue, weld, bondo on replacement metal patches. Use a sparkplug to plug the unused opening on the lower rad hose. Slightly overbuilt upper engine steady, angle iron front to rear across the bottom to keep it from being swaybacked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Live Laugh Moke
Willie_B

Re: 1966 moke build

Post by Willie_B »

All the mechanicals were stock. It was running but could not drive it as the clutch and brake pedal were seized to the pivot shaft so you push the clutch and the brakes at the same time. Not enough power there to make it move that way. So did not even get to drive it. It has been sitting in the basement since October 2012. I have been gathering bits here and there for it but no progress on the actual moke. Finally decided to do something with it all in the fall of 2018. Ordered a new moke shell in December 2018 from M-Parts. 9 months later I got that. The problem then was I had ordered a MK1 but they sent a MK2 shell.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Live Laugh Moke
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

Just to remind myself of the starting point. It does not look bad from 10 feet.
Live Laugh Moke
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

Ok, that's enough from the closet.
Live Laugh Moke
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

Ordered a gearbox from Guessworks. Kept the magicwand shifting but now have 4 synchro, cross pin diff, 3.44fd and pot joints output. The engine is a 998 A+, 60 over, 10 to 1 compression, 12G295 head. Running an HIF38 and headers. That should give it little more get up and go.
Last edited by Willie_B on Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:18, edited 1 time in total.
Live Laugh Moke
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

Had a truck load of parts blasted clean. They use a mixture of water and glass beads. They also mix something in the water so that the parts will not flash rust afterwards. The parts have been in the basement for a year now and still just the same as when I picked them up. So nice. New VIN plate ordered. Not everything is expensive. Got the Heritage certificate also.
Live Laugh Moke
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

Interesting thing about shipping the body. It was cheaper to air freight it to the international airport close to me (25 miles) than ship it by ship to the port (270 miles). Works for me. The weather for the day I was picking it up was for rain so I renting an enclosed truck to pick it up in. They loaded it with a fork lift at the warehouse. I had to unload it at home on my own though. Take most of the crate apart in the truck. Wife asked how I planned to get it out. Reminded her the truck has a pull out ramp. Slide it to the bottom of the ramp to the driveway, well at least one end. Now what she said, told her to watch. Started the truck and drove it and the ramp out from under it, all the way off now.
Live Laugh Moke
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

I had made a large cart with 4 swivel wheels to move it to the basement.

Gotta remember to load the photos in reverse order so they show up top to bottom, not the other way round.
Live Laugh Moke
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

While waiting on the body I rebuilt stuff. The speedometer I took all the way apart so I could clean the odo part and reset it back to all zeros, figure it will be an as new moke when done. There is no mileage tracking done here so who cares anyway. I changed the inner parts over to a later unit that should be correct for my 3.44fd. Painted the inside hoping to see it better at night. Only took me 3 tries to get the odo bock together so it wprkd. Used a drill to test run it. I had several speedos that I took apart to see to do it and use for parts.
Live Laugh Moke
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

When it came time to attach the needle I used a digital tach on my drill, set to the turns per mile at 60mph. hope it is close enough.
Last edited by Willie_B on Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:18, edited 1 time in total.
Live Laugh Moke
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

This all served as a great time to add some new tools for different jobs. So bought a small lathe, that was nice but a bit too small. So got a larger one, that also has a milling part. Have not used the milling part yet. No experience with that. Dang that second one was heavy. First project on the small one was a new button for the parking brake handle to get used to a lathe again.
Live Laugh Moke
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

More later, it's late.

Well one more from a recent drive out in the country nearby.
Live Laugh Moke
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

Could not fimd the proper sump guard so used what I had. Weld in the nut before powdercoating the subframe. The windscreen frame was bent and bowed, a little force and that was sorted.
Live Laugh Moke
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

It did not come with a wiper motor. That's where friends help. Not too difficult to take it apart for a clean and grease. Clean and paint the outside and a few new parts and good to go. Will need to trim the shaft when it is installed.
Live Laugh Moke
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

The bonnet was not quite the right shape. I needed something to bend it around. Thanks to construction down the street there was a power pole that was pushed down. I cut the top off that for my inner form to push against.
Live Laugh Moke

Return to “Project "M"”