1981 Australian Moke

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
Eamonn F

Re: 1981 Australian Moke

Post by Eamonn F »

Welding finished & some more grinding.
Underside Prep & Primer, followed by stone chip & top coat. Very quick to type but this all took 2 days to do. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eamonn F

Post by Eamonn F »

First of the powder coated parts back from 'Tallaght Powder Coating' here in Dublin. They are a normal powder coating business but are enthusiastic enough to attempt any car & bike related parts. They also offer a blasting service for parts.
(I have no connection with 'Tallaght Powder Coating' other than an extremely satisfied customer).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eamonn F

Post by Eamonn F »

More welding by the genius James Kelly @ MiniFix.
Both bumpers were rusted away at the mounting & we decided they were beyond repair. New ones were ordered from Mokepanels in Somerset. They only had rear bumpers so I ordered 2 of those. I cut the top piece from the rusty front I had & James welded it to one of the rears. Perfect one front & one rear.
The seat belt frame was badly rusted under the top bar & on one side bar, the result of being left out in the Irish weather. :D
We used pieces cut from the scrap bumpers to repair the frame, again amazing cutting & welding by James.
Eamonn F

Post by Eamonn F »

Subframe support brackets for the front bumper from M-Parts, were welded in place before powder coating.
The subframes were prepared for fitting to the shell and the trailing arms & front hubs built.
Eamonn F

Post by Eamonn F »

I Don't know what happened to my last post but the photos didn't load.
Here they are again.
Eamonn F

Post by Eamonn F »

Brake lines made & fitted.
LHD Steering Rack fitted
Eamonn F

Post by Eamonn F »

Fuel tank fitted. There was great difficulty & hilarity trying to fit the rubber hose between the filler neck & the tank but it finally went in.
Engine bay masked up & painted. Rear subframe fitted & trailing arms & Spax adjustable shocks fitted.
Eamonn F

Post by Eamonn F »

Fitting front subframe into newly painted engine bay.
Eamonn F

Post by Eamonn F »

Fitting front hubs & painting engine.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

You do realise you don’t have to have it finished until next year.....there’s nowt on in 2020 :lol:
Come on summer
Eamonn F

Post by Eamonn F »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 14:21 You do realise you don’t have to have it finished until next year.....there’s nowt on in 2020 :lol:
That gave me a laugh Nigel. The original plan was for a sympathetic restoration & a road trip to Spain in May. After the Covid 19 lockdown I reassessed the state of the Moke & decided to do a proper repair & replace restoration. :D :lol: :roll:
Eamonn F

Post by Eamonn F »

Engine replaced.
A little grease on the face of the new engine mounts helps to insert the bolts.
The crane is one of our best purchases & gets regular use.
All rubber suspension bushes & bump stops replaced, braided brake lines & Hi-Lo's with new rubber donuts.
Martin108

1981 Australian Moke

Post by Martin108 »

Eamon, no messing there, it’s coming on well.
Eamonn F

Post by Eamonn F »

Martin108 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:58 Eamon, no messing there, it’s coming on well.
Thanks Martin, lots of time spent sourcing parts then cleaning & overhauling that can't be shown pictorially in a build blog. :D :wink:
Eamonn F

Post by Eamonn F »

Engine ancillaries fitted.
Distributor cleaned & overhauled.
New alternator fitted as it was cheaper to buy new than purchase replacement parts!
New solenoid fitted to powder coated bracket.
Radiator & Fan in place.
Bumpers & Roll Bar sent for Powder Coating.
Maniflow MOKE Exhaust ordered.

Return to “Project "M"”