1981 Australian Moke

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
Eamonn F

Re: 1981 Australian Moke

Post by Eamonn F »

This weeks update:-

Rear lights fitted & working. I sent to Mini Sport in Australia for the rear lights as they are more in keeping with the original lights than the Portuguese ones available. Front light fitting complete.

All wiring fitted & working. The Moke is going to live in Southern Spain & requires a rear Fog Lamp & Hazzard Lights to be legal. The No. Plate light was easily relocated to the left hand side.

Fitting the dash panel is like one step forward & one step back! To fit the centre panel I had to take out the top panel & the wiper cover.

Also fitted the indicator/wiper stalks & three relays for the higher power head lights & twin horns.

Battery fitted & 5 litres of unleaded petrol put into the tank to check for leaks.

A big 'Thank You' to all those who provided details of the Hand Brake warning light switch. It fitted perfectly and works great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eamonn F

Post by Eamonn F »

Todays task was to fit the exhaust!

I had ordered a Moke exhaust from Maniflow quoting Deans part no's. The exhaust sent by Maniflow bore no likeness to what was required. After many attempts to contact Maniflow & leaving voice messages I eventually got to speak to them & explain what I needed. They sent the required front pipe that fitted around the gear linkage.

I fitted the "Maniflow Cooper Freeflow Manifold", that we had in stock, to the engine along with a Mini Spares inlet for my HS4 Carb.

Back under the car & there was no way the front pipe was going to fit the manifold! The manifold ended up very close to the gear linkage box. I cut 1/2" from the manifold & we were closer to a fit, another 1/2" & I could fit the pipe bend to the manifold but it was still very tight! I redrilled the cross mount & fitted the gear linkage slightly further to the left side. I could now line up the bend with the rear pipe & fit the rear box to the rear subframe. I still had to cut 3/4" from the middle pipe to get it all to fit - not very satisfactory. The special bent pipe had to sit a little below the cross mount for clearance. I hope the photos show the outcome. :twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eamonn F

Post by Eamonn F »

Jobs for today - Start engine & fit seats!

Carb. & Distributor overhauled. New Points, Condenser, Rotor Arm, Cap & Leads. All rubber fuel pipes replaced to avoid splits & cracks caused by Ethanol in petrol. Timing set & new battery fitted. Checked for spark & oil pressure - everything OK. Filled float bowl with petrol to help fuel pump. Choke out & turn key - first turn & engine started & ran. WOW :D

Engine stopped, no fuel in filter. Fuel pump not pumping. Cursing, swearing, bruised & skinned knuckles & a new pump was fitted. Another drop of petrol down the carb throat, turn the key & the engine started & ran - happy days. Small adjustment to timing & it settled down to running sweetly. Temp. steady & Oil Pressure @ 90psi. The Maniflow exhaust system sounds great.

I made a frame for the MX5 seats & James, the Master Welder, performed his magic for me. After a lot of fettling & adjusting, the seats were fitted. :D

(I will return to how I fitted the seats when I have taken Photos.)

Return to “Project "M"”