Aussie Mirrors

Mokes and related items wanted
chris naish

Aussie Mirrors

Post by chris naish »

Hi Folks
New member Colin, who has always borrowed my Aussie for London to Brighton, has finally bought his own! It's got no mirrors either side, mine are on the wings, but I see quite a few Aussies have mirrors bolted just under the windscreen...anyone have some that will fit for sale?
Cheers All!!
Chris
Chris Naish.
grantourer
MMC Member

Re: Aussie Mirrors

Post by grantourer »

Hi Chris. The arms on my Aussie came from Ron at Runamoke and the mirrors from Australia:-

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-Moke-Pa ... 22GKqjSZ1w

I have had some good stuff off this guy and he does post to the UK
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Tim

Post by Tim »

The arms that most Aussie mokes had were bolted into the holes that mount the wiper motor on the driver's side and into a matching pair of holes on the passenger side, they have tubular steel spacers to get them out past the edge of the sidescreens. The arms were simply pieces of steel tubing with flattened ends. On some cars they are curved inward, but straight works OK. They are handed (left or right) depending on the twist in the end.

There were both round or rectangular mirror heads available, but rectangular is by far the most common. Original ones had steel backs but the cheap plastic ebay ones do the job, although they are slightly bigger than the originals, and look a bit more rounded on the back.

These are the arms Minisport (Australia) sell. One of our local guys borrowed one of mine and had a pair made from stainless tubing, they turned out very nicely.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
chris naish

Post by chris naish »

Cheers Chaps!
On the case!
Chris.
Chris Naish.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I managed to knock the glass out of one of my mirrors at the national so I had a look in my garage when I got home (in desperation really) and found that I've a stock of about four of the things !!!
Come on summer
chris naish

Post by chris naish »

OK Folks!
Got the mirror problem sorted.....flicked on the wipers on it for the first time only to discover motor burnt out!!
Anyone out there with one for sale? It's the one with the park position, and the oblong white block connector.
Northern hemisphere preferred, but Colin's son is in Aus , so could possibly pick up if round the corner!!!!!!!
Regards All
Chris.
Chris Naish.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I'm guessing its a late model Aussie, 1981 or thereabouts? Those wiper motors might be a bit tricky to find because they were only used right at the end and not many Mokes were being built by then. I think they were made by Preslite, so they probably ended up in other cars too, but I have no idea what.

Depending on what is wrong with it, it might be worth considering having the existing motor repaired, if you can find a practitioner of the ancient art.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Google led me to this...problem is its in the USA and it's for a beetle so it's only 6 volts, :shock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Bug-Beetle-6 ... YQ&vxp=mtr
Come on summer
chris naish

Post by chris naish »

Hi Tim
Yup, you're spot on...looks like it's down to yours truly to repair then! Thought I'd check if they were plentiful first. I noted the loom wiring colours didn't match the ones on the motor, not too much of a problem to work out, but just been on the Moke Werx site, and pin terminals and colours all identified!! Brilliant!!
Chris Naish.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:Google led me to this...problem is its in the USA and it's for a beetle so it's only 6 volts, :shock:
Nigel, that one will sort of suit earlier Aussies, but is nothing like the one fitted to late model Aussies. I've only ever seen one or two, never owned a Moke that 'new' myself, but they look like a flattened version of a conventional wiper motor used in Minis and normal cars. There's some details on the Australian Moke site: http://www.moke.com.au/in-the-garage/a- ... twin-stalk The flat one is pictured about half way down the page, on a white moke.

Tim

Return to “Wanted”