AGM Details

The Moke Club Annual General Meeting
Gaydon
grantourer
MMC Member

AGM Details

Post by grantourer »

The AGM is on Saturday 17th of October, and will start at 12:00 and last approximately 2 to 3 hours, further details are in the club magazine

For directions to the Heritage Centre, please follow the Link:-

http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/ ... ting-here/
Last edited by grantourer on Mon Jul 20, 2015 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Pig Pen Love Machine

Re: AGM Details

Post by Pig Pen Love Machine »

Grantourer

I am not wishing to start a Ping Pong of emails but with respect your posting about the AGM is a curious one.

Where you state

You must let the secretary, Kate Hall ( kate.hall@mokeclub.org ) know, we need this to let the Museum know what numbers to expect.

Your use of the word must is , in my opinion, controlling and strong word to use unless it was a typo.
For anyone who simply wants to turn up to the AGM and not necessarily look around the Museum
its surely not compulsory to notify the secretary in advance. Usually the reason for notifying your attendance at previous Moke AGM's has been to assist with catering but that's not the case this time. I agree it would be helpful, and some would say courteous, for the Organisers to know numbers in advance but I see no reason for it to be compulsory.

I suggest the invitation from The Committee welcomes all to the AGM whether they have booked or not. Its not as if 30 plus extra unexpected people suddenly descending on Gaydon to attend the AGM will cause a panic amongst the Gaydon staff

The good news is this AGM looks like it will be well attended given recent events and comments concerning the potential sale of Rubber and moulds.

PPLM
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Thank you Ian. The room we have booked will take a 100, so we will need an idea of how many will attend, and the information was a copy and paste from the magazine.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
johng
MMC Member

Post by johng »

I have to agree with Ian over the wording of the A.G.M. invitation. I have attended the A.G.M. for the last 10 years or so and we have never had 100 Members attend the meeting.

As if the Club doesn't have enough issues at the moment :- Apparent breach of Data Protection , Confusion on sale of Club assets , Obvious rift in the committee ....... We are now having our freedom to express our views on Club matters curtailed by the lock-down of " Club Talk ". Now we MUST notify the secretary if we wish to attend the A.G.M. !

This is the behaviour of a third world despot
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

happy now.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

I think the request is perfectly reasonable. Would it be so much effort for members to email, PM or call Kate to indicate their attendance, unless of course they wish to retain a surpise element?

Let's say, "it would be appreciated if members could indicate their attendance for catering and space purposes". If only 25 turn up, why put 100 seats out. The actual turnout will then tell a story of course.
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

johng wrote:I have to agree with Ian over the wording of the A.G.M. invitation. I have attended the A.G.M. for the last 10 years or so and we have never had 100 Members attend the meeting.

As if the Club doesn't have enough issues at the moment :- Apparent breach of Data Protection , Confusion on sale of Club assets , Obvious rift in the committee ....... We are now having our freedom to express our views on Club matters curtailed by the lock-down of " Club Talk ". Now we MUST notify the secretary if we wish to attend the A.G.M. !

This is the behaviour of a third world despot
Hi John (and Ian),
I can only suggest that if you feel that the committee could be doing things better, that you put your names forward for positions before the AGM, there are at least two vacancies at the moment!
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Pig Pen Love Machine

Chris

I am aware that The Chairman has resigned but which is the other position you refer to as vacant?
Have i missed a posting.

Thank you for your invitation to put name forward for a position on the Committee but i have never had any intention of making such a move especially since the 2013 AGM debacle and that stance has certainly not changed.

I don't feel i am sufficiently informed to comment as to whether the Committee could do things better or not and will leave others closer to the action to express their views. However when i read talk of professional mediation and a mid term resignation from the Chairman i do realize the situation is extremely serious. John G is one of the backbones of the Club in terms of turning up to events in all weathers so please take note his words of wisdom and thoughts.

All we want to do is have some fun with our Moke with like minded friendly people. Thats all we have ever wanted to do . When i first joined the club i didn't even own or have a chance of owning a Moke but when i eventually re joined with a Moke the reception we received was very welcoming and friendly even if a few of the Characters were quirky.

I do hope that at the AGM or earlier the Good ship Moke can be steadied and perhaps the idea of Mediation should not be dismissed assuming those Committee members involved agree attend in the right frame of mind and actually listen to what was said by all parties rather than talk over the mediator.

PPLM
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Ian,
The other position that will be vacant at the AGM will be that of the Club Secretary.
I agree with you in that we, the Club, ought to be engaged in promoting and enjoying our fun cars, not bickering about producing and selling car parts.
As with all democratic organisations, there will be fall outs from time to time, the metal of those on the committee and in the chair is to weather these times and get the ship back on course.
Also with any democratic organisations, if the members do not agree with those in elected positions, they can change things by either voting for someone else or by putting themselves forward and making their own voice heard.
Our Club's problems concerning this, is that very few members seems to want to volunteer to serve on the committee, even though it can be very rewarding.
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Pig Pen Love Machine

Chris

The resignation decisions of both The Chairman and Secretary ahead of the AGM indicate to me there is nothing rewarding about taking a position on the Committee of The Moke Club. Infact it sounds like a heap of grief and politics. Thats unless there are other non disclosed reasons for either or both resignations which are personal to either which we don't and shouldn't know about or discuss.

With respect those who attended the AGM must have voted the people onto the elected positions. However it was clear that at the 2013 elections and the 2014 elections it was some members of the Committee who didn't agree with one or two of the members nominations and/ or those voted in. If that's the case forget democracy and appoint mates and save the aggro the bickering & back stabbing there is, or has been until recently within the Committee.

Get the best treasurer available , the best person to run this website and the best editor for the Magazine. They cant be appointed and have to be the best in class,committed and enthusiastic with real passion. The rest can scrap it out for the positions or take the Communist approach.Fortunately all three are, to my knowledge, still in their positions for which we all should breathe a sigh of relief. If one or more of these three quits the wheels do start suddenly fall of and we could all be singing the Lyrics to KWS "Please don't go"

Until some attitudes change i think the remaining Committee have a very big problem convincing ordinary members to jump into the ring with The Committee and take up a position but i hope i am wrong for the health and future prosperity of the Club.

Its time for the Committee to snatch victory from the Jaws of Defeat and quickly because i sense the sand is running out if the timer very fast.

I hope you avoid any rucs at The National. Sorry i cant be with you given its almost in my back garden. Fingers crossed it will all be friendship and peace and will continue into Switzerland.

Thats me done on this topic ( i hope)

10-10 til we do it again.
PPLM
Jez

Post by Jez »

Dear all

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum in which to submit my apologies for the AGM but nevertheless I am unable to attend to sitting in Court on that day.

Kind regards

Jez

DBL 785B
Trundlebug

Post by Trundlebug »

To the Committee

I've proposed it before and I'll say it again, this time well before the meeting to give everyone time to act.

We all want a full Committee that is prepared, competent and enthusiastic.
To encourage members to be able to come forward for vacant Committee positions with their eyes open and know what they're letting themselves in for, and what would be expected of them in the role, it would be sensible to have role profiles or "job descriptions" for each Committe post.
For all posts that are known to be "up for grabs" at the AGM, include a copy of the job descriptions in the AGM info pack on each chair for members attending the AGM.

I know each role can be personalised and you can make as much or as little as you want of it, but ultimately most members really don't have much idea of what is involved until they've put themselves forward and find themselves "committed" so to speak (pardon the pun). It's a bit late to then find out that they don't have the skills, time or inclination to do what is expected.

The JD's can evolve and be updated annually just before the AGM.

The key headings that need to be on each JD I would suggest are:-
-Role title
-Key responsibilities and tasks, or summary of role purpose within the club
-Approximate minimum time requirements, and how often / when time is required.

I would suggest the above information would help members understand how the committee is meant to function, thereby ensuring everyone is clearer. Far from putting people off, I think it would probably encourage more participation and members would be putting themselves forward with their eyes open.

That has to be a step forward if we want to encourage members to volunteer and have a competent, well functioning Committee. (NB no intention to slur or imply the current committee are anything otherwise).
dpstjp
MMC Member

Post by dpstjp »

I regret I'm at a wedding on the 17th. Can't remember the last time I went to one.

Is it possible for me to lodge a proxy vote with a nominated member by letter?

Dominic
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

PLEASE NOTE;
Due to the on going redevelopment and road works surrounding the Gaydon and Jaguar Landrover sites, I have this morning been advised that there could be either delays, or a diversion in place on Saturday.
Please allow an extra 15 minutes to your travel time to allow for this potential.

Thank you
Roger Glover
My other car is a Moke......
My other Moke is an Ant....
Daniel
MMC Member

Post by Daniel »

Without being impatient 8) , are there any news from the AGM?

Daniel
The Moke model car overview: http://www.mokemodels.com

Return to “AGM - October 17th”