Portugal IMM 2018

The International Mini Meeting, Portugal,
jocro69

Re: Portugal IMM 2018

Post by jocro69 »

Calling all IMMers.
Can we compile:
- A complete list of all those going?
- What travel arrangements each car is/wants to make?
- Those who want to join a convoy either in the UK on the way to Portsmouth &/OR
- From Bilbao to IMM site via a stop en-route.

For myself, I am now committed to go, and will be traveling in the Moke from Thame in Oxfordshire to Portsmouth on Sunday May 13th. I will most probably travel via A34, M3 & M27. I would welcome hooking up with anyone else on the route to arrive in Portsmouth at an appropriate time.
I am booked on the 22.30, 13th ferry, arriving first thing 15th & would like to travel with others to Praia de Mira via the E80 and a stop over at Salamanca on the night of 15th.
I am not camping, but have booked a hotel (Miravillas) just down the road from the IMM site. I will book a B&B at Salamanca when this is confirmed as the stop over.
With regards to the return trip, I am booked on the 15.30 ferry on 24th and would welcome any ideas from others on a route from the IMM to Bilbao.
Look forward to seeing future posts
Richard.
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi Richard. We go over on the 16th, arrive on the 17th then down to Valladolid over night and into the IMM on Friday 18th. The ferry back for us is on Saturday 26th. Booked while I was still working, but now retired, and could not change to an earlier crossing.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi all,
Just reading a good article on road trip planning in the May edition of Mini World.
Lots of things in there that I already know i.e. carrying docs such as driving licence, insurance MOT cert, breakdown cover for Europe, national sticker if you don't have the euro symbol on the number plate etc.
Some things in there that I for one did not know i.e. Dash cams are not allowed in Portugal! Also if you don't fit headlight deflectors you could get a fine of up to £1000! If you wear glasses you need to have a spare pair with you in Spain.
This on top of needing to carry a reflective jacket in the car so you can put it on before getting out, carrying a warning triangle, first aid kit (in some countries), it says that a certified breathalyser needs to be carried in France but I've seen on the web that although it is still law in France the police do not enforce it.
As I've not taken the Moke over the channel as yet (IMMM will be the first) any advice from those that have, would be useful.
Cheers
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi All.
As a Post Script to Chris's info, you will need 2 Warning Triangles in Spain. Also it is mandatory to have lights on in a Tunnel. The Police sometimes wait at the tunnel ends to catch people not using lights.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Graham,
The article also says that in some countries (doesn't say which) that you must run with dipped headlights during the day, so the advice is if your not sure put them on. I suspect it will be countries like Sweden as Volvo's always seem to have their headlights on, must check it out.
Just done that, this shows you where:-
https://autotraveler.ru/en/spravka/comp ... snyD-SWz5o
They are not required in Western Europe.
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
johng
MMC Member

Post by johng »

IMM coming up quick now .... about 17 days to float away. On a personal note I hope my Moke seats are ready from having frames repaired (Maltese Pete only broke one :D ) and powder coated and re-upholstered .
If you are travelling out on 13th overnight ferry Portsmouth - Bilbao and want to meet up for journey down to Pompey , We are meeting up from East Midlands on A43 out of Northampton @ first McDonalds on right of roundabout at 4.30pm. If you are travelling from London , East or West and like to meet for a run down to ferry - We will be at Chievley ( not spelt right ) Services at Jnc A34 /M4 @ 5.30 - 6 pm. This is about 80 minutes from Brittany Ferries
Taking my Moke back to country of it's birth !!!
jocro69

Post by jocro69 »

I have only ever recently driven in Spain & Portugal in local hire cars which are equipped with automatic 'Toll Tags', so have little knowledge of paying tolls when driving there in the Moke. You can buy temporary tags in the UK before leaving, but this seems expensive for only a couple of weeks. I also understand that most auto routes are paralleled by non-toll roads anyway, which would probably be more sympathetic to open sided Mokes. We will be following Euro-route 80 from Bilbao to Aveiro, which in Spain is the A62 and in Portugal the A25 - so toll roads both.
Can I ask fellow members & travelers, who have far more experience than I do of driving in these countries, what would be the best option to take in both using toll roads and, if used, paying for them, and what they intend to do themselves?
Many thanks in advance for your pearls of wisdom - Richard
chapeauchap

Post by chapeauchap »

Never been to Portugal but spent time in Spain. Tolls very straightforward, collect ticket entering autopista, when you leave go into lane showing coins or cashier, I aim for cashier but easy otherwise, slot for ticket, the amount due will be shown then obvious where to put plastic, notes or euros. Not worth spending money on a tag if you are only over for a week or two. I would never take Moke on to toll road, mostly HGVs limited to 100 kph I think, about my cruising speed so lots of buffeting. Maybe more important if travelling in a group not possible to stop and help if one of you have a problem. The old roads are excellent, my satnav suggests Bilbao to Praia de Mira 3 hours longer off the motorway and , unless you are pressed for time, more interesting and safer. Spanish drivers rarely use indicators and when they do indicate can be confusing.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Can't say I'm happy at having my work mobile number emblazoned across the forum for all to see. Let's hope it's disappeared from farcebook by now
Come on summer
govig

Post by govig »

Just found out we can go after all except we can't 'cos its sold out. :roll:

Just to add my take of requirements but double check with AA or RAC or whatever:

1) You no longer need breathalysers in France. Good list Chris but add your V5C of course.
2) Two warning triangles in Spain is for Spanish regd vehicles only. The rest of us just need one.
3) Those cheating with a trailer over 750kg (usually me) is limited to a mere 80kph in Spain ! It is 90 if under 750kg but the motorways south of Burgos are hardly busy and mostly free.

Have a great time everyone and have a safe trip.

Jon & Gill
Jez

Post by Jez »

Dear Jon & Gill

That's a real shame and thanks for the advice, but hopefully we'll catch up in Luxembourg ?

Kind regards

Jez
DBL 785B
chapeauchap

Post by chapeauchap »

Not sure where Burgos comes in but we are in agreement, the A1 / E5 to Madrid is an 'Autovia', toll free, a road I use regularly and recommend. It is the toll roads (Autopista) that I avoid. Personal choice obviously. Certainly need 2 warning triangles in Spain irrespective of nationality, the Guardia Civil expect them if you have a breakdown and high vis. jackets for all in car, fines on the spot, not guys you want to disappoint.
govig

Post by govig »

Hi Jez,

Luxembourg is in the diary but can't be definite about going atm.

Enjoy IMM. It will be warm!

Jon
govig

Post by govig »

Not sure where Burgos comes in
Just on the way I'd go to Portugal but other routes are available. I usually enter Spain at Hendaye/Irun as coming from France and there are bits of pay motorway before Burgos on that route. All take credit cards.
Certainly need 2 warning triangles in Spain irrespective of nationality, the Guardia Civil expect them
OK, fair enough. 2 is the safer option of course but here is the motoring organisations' view on this:

RAC: Warning triangle (compulsory in every vehicle with four wheels or more) (Residents must carry 2)

AA: Spain: One warning triangle compulsory for non-Spanish registered vehicles; two for Spanish
registered vehicles. Note: Drivers of non-Spanish registered vehicles should consider carrying two
triangles as, regardless of regulations, local officials may impose an on-the-spot fine if only one is
available.

Fully agree with treating the GC Trafico with care but they are usually very polite if you are.

Finally, one other Spanish 'rule' I can't find written anywhere (but it makes complete sense) is if a vehicle is on the hard shoulder, do not pass it in the slow lane. I got stopped for this in Spain last year by Trafico but let off with a very polite warning.
chapeauchap

Post by chapeauchap »

Apologies, Govig, thought Bilbao and even San Sebastian being on the West coast wouldn't go anywhere near to Burgos on the way to Portugal. Another bit of advice is that approaching roundabouts on Spanish dual carriageways, unless there are arrows, is to stay in the right hand lane, even if you are going left, I have followed G.C. vehicles doing that, indicating left all the time. Maybe no need to say but alcohol levels for driving much lower here and seat belts(if fitted) mobile ,phone use all attract fines. That's the negative, but Spain is a great place for a rally, hope in the future we can meet in the South.

Return to “IMM 2018 - May 17th/21st”